Hi there:

I'm working on the Corel Greyhound, but using Goodwin's Anatomy of the Ship HMS Blandford as my guide. Goodwin's book is great, but using it has raised a point of confusion for me.

Corel's kit design has the ship's boat (a pinnace) mounted on spars that are placed foreward on little brackets on either side of the belfry, and aft on a gallows bit just before the main mast.

Goodwin's book has a different belfry design (the belfry is positioned slightly to port) and there are no gallows bits, but sheet bits before the mast...

Goodwin's book seems to trump Corel's instructions/design at many points, but he also gives no indication of how to mount the ship's boat....does anyone have any idea how this might have been done on a 20-Gun frigate of 1720? Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks a lot in advance.

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Hamilton,have you looked at the NMM website ? Type in `20 gun ship models´ in the search box,you will find several good photos on pages 3 & 4. You can enlarge them which may give you some other ideas rather than using the Blandford book.

Have fun :D  ;)

Dave :dancetl6:

Hi Dave:

Thanks for the tip - very much appreciated! I'll head over to the NMM site now

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Just checked out NMM on their 20-gun ship models. There's one that features a ship's boat, from a later period, but the deck elements on the models of ships of the early 18th century seem to have gallows bits atop the main sheet bits and another gallows bits atop the fore jeers bits...so the timbers on both main sheet and fore jeers bits extend upward and are capped atop with a cross bar. 

There seems something clumsy to me about this solution....especially since it tucks away the sheet and jeers bits in a kind of inconvenient way....if anyone has any solution to this issue, I'd be happy to hear it - thanks!

hamilton

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there:

So in looking through Goodwin's Anatomy of the Ship HMS Blandford, I've found a couple of clues (in different places) as to how to mount the ship's boat. Goodwin has an illustration on page 63 which shows the main sheet bitts fitted with a gallows. This resolves the aft mounting. Then on page 27, in the section with the photographic plates, there is a picture of a model from the NMM of a 20-gun 6th rate which is fitted with a gallows just forward of the fore hatch. Good thing I read the caption!

hamilton