Glad Tidings by Dandyfunk - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24 - ultracondensed repost

This picture of the center keels with the bulwarks installed shows the first decision I had to make regarding the build.  Due to Model Shipway’s manufacturing limitation of 3/16” thick laser cutting, the ¼” thick keel was provided in 2 -1/8” thickness keels to be glued together to obtain the ¼” thickness.  The decision I had to make was when to glue the keel halves together, before planking the hull or planking the hull halves then gluing together.  I was leaning towards planking the halves separately due to the ease of working with a half that would lay flat on the workbench then realized that this method would not permit me to eyeball the hull to try to keep the port and starboard planking symmetrical.  I glued the keel halves with the bulwarks together then planked the hull in the normal fashion.

post-2059-0-38861900-1366160557_thumb.jpg

Center keel halves assembled and ready for planking.

post-2059-0-78652400-1366160603_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of the planked hull.  Planking was quite a task due to every plank other than the sheer strake having to be spiled.  Fortunately, Model Shipways provided a planking layout with the kit that permitted me to cut the plank shape then sand or cut to fit the actual condition.  This, I believe, saved me from creating a lot of scrap.post-2059-0-88424900-1366161154_thumb.jpg

Beams, carlins, bitt blocks, stack support, cockpit and planksheer installed.  I also installed the floor drain in the cockpit and drain outlet in the hull at this time.

post-2059-0-29591600-1366161183_thumb.jpg

Deck has been planked and nailed with .020 pins.  I used scotch tape run across the deck in line with the bulwarks to maintain a reasonably straight line of nails.  After I used the pins, I had second thoughts that perhaps I should have used treenails but it was too late to make any changes.

post-2059-0-48533400-1366161223_thumb.jpg

Two photos of the installed bulwark stanchions and strakes, tombstone, knightheads, hawse timbers, caprail and catheads.  The instruction manual advised that installing the bulwark strakes may be the most difficult aspect of the kit and after careful study, I believed the manual.  I intentionally took my time and gave each step thought before I proceeded.  I deviated from the instruction manual’s method of installing the bulwark strakes.  The manual advised to install the strakes then install the tombstone to the installed strakes.  I could only envision the strakes not lining up with the tombstone resulting in a tilted and/or twisted tombstone.  I decided to install the tombstone to the strakes off of the model then fit the strakes/tombstone assembly to the knees and stanchions.  I was satisfied with the results and think this was best way for me to go.

post-2059-0-92796600-1366162212_thumb.jpg

post-2059-0-53461100-1366162247_thumb.jpg

A photo of the completed cabins with operating skylights and companionways.  I also replaced the kit provided galley and cabin heater stacks with stacks fabricated from brass tubing and sheet based on information from Howard Chapelle’s ‘The American Fishing Schooner’.  I must also mention that I received some tremendous help from MSW members on how to fabricate the working hinges for the skylights.  I now know how to anneal brass which was and will be extremely beneficial in fabricating metalwork.

post-2059-0-59431400-1366162284_thumb.jpg

Just a photo of the installed bowsprit and windlass

post-2059-0-40807200-1366162331_thumb.jpg

These photos are of the masts, mast hoops and mast coat.  I replaced the kit provided laser cut mast hoops with hoops made from 1/32” thick basswood strips that were soaked, wrapped around a drill bit then glued to form the hoop.  I also added brass wire to simulate rivets.  I was not too keen on the instruction manual’s suggestion to form the mast coats from a block of wood, so I fabricated the mast coats from 2 pieces of brass sheet and some loose woven cloth.  One piece of brass was used for the mast band, one piece for the deck band and the cloth was glued to both to make the mast coat.  After I assembled the mast coats I wasn’t happy with the appearance but I installed them and decided they looked pretty good after all.

post-2059-0-71556500-1366162363_thumb.jpg

post-2059-0-50459000-1366162464_thumb.jpg

This photo just shows the booms, gaffs and sails that I had decided to sew for the model.  The kit does not provide cloth for sails but does provide a sail plan.  Due to the scale and minimal amount of rigging I decided to make sails even though sails seem to be a controversial subject.  There was only one problem, I had never used a sewing machine but did have access to one.  After lots of practice and remakes, I was happy with the sails and think they do add this model.

post-2059-0-91839100-1366162515_thumb.jpg

Complete!!  I am going to add more photos of the completed model to the Completed Kit Gallery in an effort to post in the appropriate forum.

post-2059-0-10230100-1366162555_thumb.jpg

post-2059-0-31385600-1366162581_thumb.jpg

Dan B

Current Build: Benjamin W. Latham-American Fishing Schooner, MS

Previous Builds: Willie L. Bennett-Chesapeake Bay Skipjack, MS; Lewis & Clark Keelboat, L & C Replicas; HMS Sultana-Colonial Schooner, MS; Glad Tidings-Pinky Schooner, MS 

Future Build: Emma C. Berry-Sloop-Rigged Well Smack, MS

• 1 year later...

Dandyfunk.

I have followed your build with interest what a great job you have made.

Do you brush paint or spray, i too have this kit not sure when i will start

Your pictures have provided me with insperation and will refer to them when

i start my build.

My very best regards. janet ( B)

• The title was changed to Glad Tidings by Dandyfunk - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24 - ultracondensed repost