Deck view photo of windjammer with interesting details

Frankie,

Nice photograph. It would be nice to know the vessel, but it looks like a four master, ship or barque.

I would suggest that the lines you mention are actually the fore mast braces, and that they might be laid out in such coils or flaked out, as the ship is in the process of either tacking or wearing. The sheets would normally come down the masts.

The structure you mention might be built over a hatch, since that looks like the coaming at deck level.

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Yes,

Definitely a four master, Kester, but I don't think she's in the process of doing anything much at the moment, with three of the watch having a yarn and another with time to take a photo! :)

Maybe the braces are where they are because the mat'es going to 'sweat them up' at the end of the watch?

John

PS. That photo's a nice find Frankie - a rare clear photo of the main deck.

Definitely a four master, Kester, but I don't think she's in the process of doing anything much at the moment, with three of the watch having a yarn and another with time to take a photo! :)

Maybe the braces are where they are because the mat'es going to 'sweat them up' at the end of the watch?

Yes, I'd agree on that. ;)

Frankie,

Actually the course sheets do go to the rail, having passed through a sheave in the bulwarks, and these are normally belayed forward of the braces. This may equally be the line running in at the bottom left of the photo, to your 'cylinder sticking out sideways'. I would agree with John that it is a winch, which could be used to sweat up any of the lines belayed there.

Incidentally, I had a look through my books on late nineteeth/twentieth century sail, but couldn't see any photos which resembled yours. I did have a thought that it may have been one of those taken by Alan Villiers, but I'm not sure on that.

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.