War of 1812 - The Marine Art of Peter Rindlisbacher

I recently purchased War of 1812 - The Marine Art of Peter Rindlisbacher. As an interested student of naval history and naval art, I found this book very well written and (obviously!) illustrated.

Mr. Rindlisbacher, being a Canadian, has shown the naval side of the war in the Great Lakes pretty much on an even keel, although it didn't take long for me to realize his perspective and points of interest in this book. It doesn't, however, take away from his wonderful artwork at all.

I was led (mainly by the title) to believe his artwork was all inclusive as to the Naval War of 1812 and this is not so - he illustrates the lakes only - and I must admit, an area that has not been well documented in recent history that I can recall.

Only one pet peeve I have in his book and that is in regards to the naming of U.S. Navy ships during this period - none had the "USS" designation before their names (the earliest references I can find officially happen in the 1820's on. While his discussion of the major combatants (such as CONSTITUTION, CHESAPEAKE, PRESIDENT, etc.) he refers to them with the "USS" prefix, he does not when discussing the smaller ships, such as brigs, schooners, and such. In this respect, I have no complaint. Once again, this is a thorn in my side, perhaps not occasional readers.

Other than that, his artwork is quite nice, detailed, and his historical perspective and knowledge adds that extra something to his renderings.

I'm glad I purchased this book and will more than likely closely read it over the summer in order to learn more about our navy's involvement in the Great Lakes.

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Armed Virginia Sloop (1768)
Royal Caroline (1748)
Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) (Scratchbuilt)

USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1967-69 Configuration (Trumpeter 1:200 bashed MISSOURI)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

This weekend the bicentenary of the Battle of Fort George is being commemorated in Niagara on the Lake. This morning American re-enactors will take down Union Jacks and replace them with the U.S. flags of the day. This afternoon, a staging of the battle will take place. Tomorrow, the actual date of the conflict, there will be a service of commemoration for all those who died at the site where the U.S. troops landed, now a rifle range.

At the local museum, one of Peter Rindlisbacher's paintings is on display. Copies of his book are also available at the museum.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv