HMS Terror by Paul O - OcCre

I'm starting this log on my HMS Terror build. I didn't find this site until last week, so my build is in process.

DRY FITTING THE KEEL:

WOW!!

Looks great.

I've been making some progress on my Terror and doing some reading.

I've uncovered an issue with the shroud lines. The way Occre show to install them is totally incorrect. They show the shrouds being run through the gap between the lower masts and the upper masts, then evening them up on both sides of the ship. From what I've seen on line and in Mastini,s book, the shrouds should go around the mast and down the same side. They are then seized at the mast. You work with them in pairs on each side, one pair on the port side and one pair on the starboard side. You need to look at the Masting and Rigging section of the book (Ship Modeling Simplified by Frank Mastini).

I got the bumpers bent last night and installed the water channels on the deck, I'll start installing the bumpers today.

I've been dry fitting the keel and the bowsprit to the hull. I taped the first section and the curved section to help position the bowsprit and the keel. That looks like I will be able to fit them together just fine, but - I also showed that I have a noticeable gap between the hull and the curved keel. I've decided to fill the back side of the curve with left over strips of Sapelli from the second planking layer, then shape it to fit. I took a picture of it now I have to figure out how to get the picture from my cell phone to mt laptop, my phone has updated since the last time I did that and of course how you do that has changed. It is bad when the device is smarter than the user and I'm a 30+ IT professional.

I'm going to have to stop now, The Blue Angels are doing a Fly Over here in Houston at 12:30 today.

Here is the picture of the gap

20200506_104335.jpg

You could also manufacture a replacement that matches your hull shape.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard