Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Just make sure that you use sharp blades, otherwise you’ll make take the risk of crushing the wood in the bulwarks. I may or may not know from personal experience.
  2. I can vouch for this method. I used a similar method to cut gunports and scuppers on my model of the Victory.
  3. I usually just make my own. It saves on aggravation.
  4. I have reached another milestone with this build. I am done with the standing rigging. Next up, I will be making some booms, gaffs and yards. Then, I will make sails. After that, I have to install everything and install the running rigging. The last thing I do on any model is to make and install flags and pennants. As a quick side note, I never expected this model to get past the hull covering phase, but I’m too stubborn to give up. So, I’m pretty pleased with my progress. I’ve never scratch built a model before so I’m very happy with it. It’s not perfect, but it’s good enough for a first run. I’ve learned a lot and have gained much valuable experience that will help me in future builds. Without further ado, I present the American Privateer Prince de Neufchatel with the standing rigging complete:
  5. I’m in the final stages of the standing rigging on the Prince de Neufchatel so I’ll be getting back to the Victory shortly. Using the Prince de Neufchatel as a learning project has worked wonderfully. I believe that the Victory will go together quite nicely once I get back to it.
  6. Given the pictures that you have posted, I don’t think that you will have any difficulty rigging your model. Given your wood working experience, I don’t think you will have problems with anything that you will see in any kit. I have never had a Caldercraft kit, but I’ve heard really good things about them. A schooner is a great place to start. My first real ship model was the schooner Sultana by Model Shipways. I am currently building my first scratch build and I chose a schooner because they are relatively simple (compared to a square rigged ship) and make a beautiful model. I had no wood working experience when I started building ship models. I learned as I went. From my experience since then, I have discovered that the hardest part is getting started with the intent to finish. Once you pass that point, the hard part’s done. After that it’s just a matter of actually building the model. Take your time. Have fun. Don’t worry about making mistakes (my models are full of them). Learn from those mistakes and move forward.
  7. I only have one set of backstays left on the foremast and two on the main mast. I think that I am now done with the deadeye spacing jig.

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...