I am building a Chesapeake Bay skipjack and have been working on the rudder and control assembly.  the picture shows the assembly as I have built it.  The problem is that I can only get 19 degrees of rudder to port and 15 degrees to starboard. Not a real problem as at least it works, but based on some research, I read that the maximum efficiency of a rudder is 35 degrees to the flow of water.  The steering arms are identical and the steering rods are of equal length. It seems that if I make the rods unequal it will only help increase travel in one direction.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?   (sorry for the poor picture quality)

post-1790-0-17526600-1370797389_thumb.jpg

Richard,

If you shorten the cross beam at the top of the rudder post., that is bring the push rods closer to the rudder post, you will turn the rudder at a greater angle.  you can play with the length of the cross beam to get the rudder movement you want.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Richard,

Could you explain how the unit on the left works? I used to fly RC aircraft, and just guessing, I'd expect the two long rods to be connected to opposite ends of a servo arm or wheel.

Brian

OOPS

I just glanced at your build log. Not RC, I guess. You just want working steering that works right!

Edited by RiverRat

"Give you joy!"

Current Build: RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB (Mamoli)

Kits on hand: "Lexington", Mamoli: "Robert E. Lee", Scientific

Scratch to do: "Fannie Dugan", 1870s Sidewheeler Steamboat

Thanks Bob, I think I'll just live with it.

Brian, yeah I just wanted it to appear to work. FYI, the unit to the left is the wheel box. The steering wheel is attached to the center shaft. In reality the shaft would have left hand screw threads on the upper part for the starboard steering rod and right hand threads on the lower part for the portside steering rod. That is beyond my capability but check out the completed kit section for a skipjack by "dandyfunk" to see one that actually works like the real thing.

I believe that beyond about 20 degrees a rudder will create more drag without increasing turning efficiency. Old ships' rudders could not turn more than about 30 degrees each way.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv