BARBOUR'S linen thread for ropes

Dziadeczek

I just received a large spool of Irish Barbour's linen thread (expensive!), from England:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/748849724/large-spool-of-353-cord-barbours-irish?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-craft_supplies_and_tools-fabric_and_notions-notions-thread&utm_custom1=9d7531cf-7f2a-412d-b984-d1b7bf71b7f2&utm_content=go_1843970764_76535548264_346429178309_pla-295462060547_c__748849724&utm_custom2=1843970764&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqInt_8GP6wIVEdbACh3wIABpEAkYAiABEgLLFfD_BwE

My order for this item was placed about a month ago and supposedly sent to me from London right after. But since I wasn't receiving anything, for some time already I started to suspect, that my ordered parcel was stuck somewhere in my "end of the road". 

All of a sudden they officially anounced yesterday and reported locally, that one of our mail men dumped the entire contents of his US Mail truck onto a remote parking lot instead of troubling himself to properly deliver the mail to its recipients.

(I don't think I need to describe here my feelings about the qualities of recent mail deliveries and was ready to write an appropriate message to the sender). If someone instead just dumped this spool in the ocean, it would float freely and reach me on this side of the Pond sooner than the air mail service between these two countries... But, it finally arrived here ..!     :champagne-2:

Never mind the above... What I wanted to write is that I have never seen anything so beautiful in my life! All my previous experiences with linen thread were less than satisfactory (to say it mildly). This however is a different story. The thread is nr. 35, quite thin, so one can twist various thicknesses of ropes from it. It is a right handed twist, so you can make a left handed rope from it, or using your left handed ropes, twist subsequently a thicker right handed one on your ropewalk. It has a very uniform structure, no bumps or lumps of any sort. It is slightly stiffer than a good quality cotton, which in turn is a bit stiffer than silk (I have some surgical silk - marvellous stuff to make ropes from!). My new linen thread is of white/egg shell color, so I will have to stain my ropes in various colors. This spool is quite large, - a life time supply of linen for a modeler like me! Supposedly it is antique, made sometime in the 1950ties.

I am, God forbid,  not trying to advertise this particular business on this forum, just to encourage everyone to try a good linen thread for your ropes.

Soon I will try to twist some ropes from it and see how it goes...     :)

Regards,

Thomas

Edited by Moderator to remove Political Comment.