Ilustrated copy

Al K.

I would like an illustrated copy of contruction for the Golden Star 769 by Mantua.I bought this kit in the 1970s , but had to leave it until now. The instructions are in Italian with no illustration other than the plans. I would like a copy of of detailed illustrations to finally finish . 

Scan 1.jpeg

• 1 month later...

My Mantua Constitution came with Italian instructions too.  If you can’t find English instructions, I’d recommend Google Translate.  It works reasonably well.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I suspect that this particular vessel is a fictional one.  This means that it is difficult to get it wrong - since there is no specific right - as long as you are true to what was done in the particular time period.   I did a Google search and looked at the UK site for Mantua kits.  The copy reads as though this is indeed a stand in for a broad class of two masted brigantines.  The site photo shows a quarter badge and the vessel looks mid 18th century to me.

1. the site lists instructions in English. - perhaps contact with them could gain you a copy of their instructions.

2.  they list it as being 1:150 scale  -  this is well within the miniature range - it makes matching prototype practice difficult - tricks and illusions are needed -these are their own set of skills.

3. Wooden ship model kits are a unique sort of critter.  I think it is not reasonable to expect the instructions for a particular kit to be sufficient information for completion.  They should be complete in the What  for a particular vessel.  The How is a different matter.  There are books aplenty covering construction techniques and the myriad paths available to get there.  There are journal articles readily available.  This site has CD versions of three of the four major English language ship model journals.  Only Model Shipwright is being lost to time.  This is probably due to a major failure at the Suit level of the publisher.   This site has build logs.  The methods shown are far from specifically limited to the individual subject.  For miniature - there are three major books that I think can still be obtained.  If you are in anyway serious about this,  the accumulation  of a significant reference library  is all but unavoidable.  The period of your ship has a fairly large volume of available information - both contemporary and more modern interpretations.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers