Ragisian Carrack XVI century by Shipphotographer.com - FINISHED - MarisStella - Scale 1:59 (775 mm/30,5")

I have not watched enough sail ship builders to know how many of them create rigging this way.  That said, this seems to be more than a model built for appearance.  This looks like a demonstration of how the rigging on the actual ship really worked.  It makes me realize that if I ever decide to build a sailing ship, I had better first learn how all the rigging is designed to function.

Edited by Michael Mash

On 4/11/2023 at 1:03 PM, Michael Mash said:

I have not watched enough sail ship builders to know how many of them create rigging this way.  That said, this seems to be more than a model built for appearance.  This looks like a demonstration of how the rigging on the actual ship really worked.  It makes me realize that if I ever decide to build a sailing ship, I had better first learn how all the rigging is designed to function.

This is the most interesting part and what attracts me most about wooden ships.

• 2 weeks later...

One can plainly see when the builder is enjoying the work.

Fascinating to see how all the rigging functions.  It is so clearly displayed on this model.

Also .     .     .   always nice to see  Imbir (briefly) supervising everything.

Edited by Michael Mash

If you check out my "Golden Hinde" build, you can see that i made up the lateen martnets and brails as one singular line. It seems like as time progressed, shipwrights tended to try to simplify rigging by merging what used to be multiple lines into one single line. 

Wonderful ship!! However, i highly doubt a carrack built pre-1500 would have had a spritsail. 

I also quite enjoy seeing your assistant help you. 

Edited by Ferrus Manus