Greek Bireme by ObviousNewbie - FINISHED - Amati - 1/35 - A lot of Firsts

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 1:16 PM, jharr1 said:

Hi working hard on me greek bireme and like others pretty frustrated with the kit. But that aside, I see 'treated birch' was used for the rub rails and this was easy to bend. What is 'treated birch'?

Hi there, sorry for the late reply. Frankly I`m not sure how the birch is treated, but as the store owner demonstrated, afterwards you can bend a 2mm by 6mm stripping in on itself without breaking, and I do mean a full 180° bend.

Unfortunately the items are not listed on their web store, but here's the link to their home page with contact details. They speak perfect English btw. They sell the item under its Dutch name though: "Buigzame beuk", which is "bendable birch" literally translated. Not sure if ordering it from hem directly is an option for you, I`ll keep my fingers crossed.

Sorry I could not help you any further, I do hope you sort it out. As you said, the bireme is a tough nut to crack, but if you persist, it eventually all comes together. It did in my case at least 🙂

All the best!

"Whatever does not kill you, only makes you stranger."

Current build: 

Finished builds:Calella by Occre - Greek Bireme by Amati HMS Terror by Occre - Frigate Diana by Occre