Help with masthead and topsail pole

Hello, I need some help with connection method between the main mast and the topsail pole.

masthead1.jpg.6bf765d74487082d7d09ef0a48e43a4f.jpg

This is a yard from Xavier's Santa Maria book. As you see, the connection seems to be very durable, and I have no questions.

masthead2.thumb.jpg.b8b898346e0849b6fa0c67f31377db53.jpg

On the contrary, I don't understand how to connect the main mast and topsail pole of the Santa Maria. I can see the wide band only. It appears to be very vulnerable to wind force... More advanced England ships had sockets at the base of the topsail poles, but this old 15th centuries ship didn't.

masthead3.jpg.58f2c2591efc448edff26b801010a00f.jpg

The AL manual omits some details, such as shrouds. I want to make it more realistic. Where can I find a clue to the connector?

The AL-picture shows something that I think is in line with Pastors book: a fixed pole, secured to the lower mast. I think you get a very realistic looking model when you take Javier Pastors books (page 86 shows the shrouds)  Given the small amount of sail that should do. Also, as there is almost no sail to that mast, there is/was no need to have shroulds on that top-mast. (according to Pastros reconstruction, but also according to others). 

Jan

Hello, Jan. Thanks for the reply. 

masthead4.jpg.a97769a5284d1facb394efb5ce3da30b.jpg

I would like to clarify my question more simply. Xavier Pastors' book shows only the upper band (blue), and I thought it wasn't enough to tie the topsail pole with a small sail yard. The AL's manual instructs to tie two bands (green), and it is reasonably durable. However, it collides with the main mast shrouds (orange) if I follow the book. 

I would say that the AL is a simplified version that omits details, and the book also omits the hidden hook of the base of topsail pole.