Intelligence machine capable of stringing strakes for brochetage (Moved by Moderator)

Hi Francis, I am not aware of any machine, but you can make up a jig if you have several planks/strakes that require exactly the same taper to be applied.  Simply use a long clamp, or clamp several planks beween metal strips such that the amount to be sanded/taken off the plank is left exposed above the edges; then sand away.

To determine the amount, use the spiling rules etc that can be found elsewhere on this site, mark the lines on a single plank then clamp as many planks together as is possible with the marked plank outboard and sand down to this line.  If the marked line is aligned to the edge of the metal/clamp then it is much easier to simply sand down to the metal/harderwood/smaterial.

It can be as elaborate as the AMATI Keel Clamp as shown here (I have no commercial connection) or simply by clamping the planks between to strips of old hacksaw blades or strips of hardwood and lining up the lines as explained above - then simply sand away :)

I hope this is what you were asking about?

cheers

Pat

tn_strip-clamp.jpg

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Agree, I don't use it for it intended task myself, but it did prove useful for the task above - that is all I use it for (and then had to replace their cheap plastic bolts with metal bolts and nuts   :) The photo actually show a plank in it rather than a keel, I have found it useful for planing (as a sort of 'shooting' board/clamp) and sanding planks but that is about the sum total of its usefulness!

On second thoughts/reading I think my response may be 'way off' and Francis is looking at how to 'tie' planks together?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)