1/350 Graf Spee Hull Seam

Sgmartz

Hi all - looking for help/advice for smoothing out the hull seam on my trumpeter Graf Spee. Please see attached pictures. I started with using putty to fill and then I sanded down. It helped with the smaller parts but isn’t smooth. I used progressive sandpaper (180, 220, 400+). I’m thinkingi need to add more putty to create a smoother transition. Thoughts?

Hi, I'm no expert, currently working on my 1st plastic ship but will give my thoughts.

I would be reluctant to keep sanding due to the amount of filler to remove but instead use a curved knife blade to scape the excess filler down to the original plastic again so as to have a fresh surface to start again.  You don't mention what type of filler you used but I made sprue goo (plastic sprues dissolved with Tamiya Extra Thin, TET) and applied it very localised on the seam with a toothpick. Takes time to apply but quicker than sanding excess afterwards.

The benefit of sprue goo is because it is made from TET it is 'hot' and melts into the seam line so that the seam doesn't keep reappearing again after final sanding. Then progressively sand down with finer and finer paper.

I've attached the link below from my build log and if you scroll down to Part 4 you will see how I did the hull seam lines, which is in more detail in the Part 4  YouTube video linked there also.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)