Posted (edited)

I've just finished reading Learmont's Master in Sail, and since I didn't find any mention of Capt. Learmont on MSW, I thought it was worth adding a note about his book.   It's an autobiography of a Scottish merchant captain who sailed deep sea ships from 1887-1910.   Learmont is a no-nonsense writer, but his accounts of his voyages are rivetting.  I think anyone who's read and enjoyed The Last Grain Race or Two Years Before the Mast will find Learmont's book is a great companion to them.    His details of navigation, sailing, handling cargos and owners, all are fascinating.    My edition is, I think, the first one dated 1950 and published by Percival Marshall.  It's not illustrated, but the book is easily findable on bookfinder.com and some editions do have photos.  

I also note that Alan Villiers mentions Learmont in several places in The Way of a Ship.  It's clear that Villiers thinks highly of Learmont, and one of his comments about how to  be successful sailing around the Horn is almost a direct quote from Learmont.   All in all, I found it a wonderful account.

Edited by rcweir
Correct typo and update comments.

Bob

current build 

Dutch 17th Century Pinas - Kolderstok - Scale 1:50 - Cross-Section

upcoming builds                               past builds

Statenjacht - Kolderstok - 1:50                                         USS Peary (DD 226) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:96 (gallery)

Fluytschip - Kolderstok - 1:72                                            USS DeHaven (DD 727) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:192

back on the shelf                                                              USS Robert E. Peary (FF 1073) - 1:250

Mayflower - Model Shipways - 1:76.8