CSS Alabama by Frank Burroughs - Revell - 1/96 - PLASTIC

This 1961 plastic kit is preowned. It cost $115 plus shipping. This was quite the deal. The first run of a model injection mold is the best. From there on each casting is sloppier. This model is a first run with few missing parts.

image.png.def18697ee32cad98c7f8a0d6340ba55.png

The History

The Confederate Navy needed ships to run blockades and raid enemy merchantmen. A British shipyard began building Hull 290 to be a merchantman. The ruse lasted just long enough to beat the authorities. It slipped down the river to sea a day before the raid. A ship was waiting to arm Hull 290 at sea.
“ CSS Alabama was a screw sloop-of-war built in 1862 for the Confederate States Navy. It was built in Birkenhead on the River Mersey opposite Liverpool, England by John Laird Sons and Company. Alabama served as a successful commerce raider, attacking Union merchant and naval ships over the course of her two-year career. She was sunk in June 1864 by USS Kearsarge at the Battle of Cherbourg outside the port of Cherbourg, France. “
                                                                              Wikipedia

The ship was primed with auto primmer. Tamiya acrylic paint is being used on this model. The next model will use Citadel acrylic paint. It is more expensive than what is used now. However, it is made for hand painting. I will probably never invest in airbrushing.
image.thumb.png.0bab5343224579182acf944a10c75da4.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Frank Burroughs said:

This 1961 plastic kit is preowned. It cost $115 plus shipping. This was quite the deal. The first run of a model injection mold is the best. From there on each casting is sloppier. This model is a first run with few missing parts.

I still have thr 1959 kit in the queque but I´m also still reluctant since the seller says the kit would be complete even if the pictures say it is not. Therefore I think the GBP 89.00 / USD 110.00 he asks for are a bit high since I have a 2021 kit (with receipt) for GBP 65.00 / USD 81.00 which is complete but the box is badly dented and ragged on one corner. I really don´t know if I not just save up and buy a wooden model instead.

How do you think is the quality of the hull. Folks told me the quality even after that long time is amazing but the accuracy of the model details itself are a bit weird?

Have to correct myself, mine is the Revell Cutty Sark 1:96 not the Alabama... but the age and that it is one of the first injection moulds for the model (Revell just launched the 1:96 in 1959).

Micha

Edited by Scottish Guy

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Scalemates timeline has this as the first model of the CSS Alabama. USS Kearsarge's hull was used for CSS Alabama hull.   The gun ports are off. Not going to correct that.  This model is more for learning new processor than historical accuracy.    The plastic is good.  The hull was slightly warped.  All in all, satisfied with the kit.

4 minutes ago, Frank Burroughs said:

This model is more for learning new processor than historical accuracy.    The plastic is good.  The hull was slightly warped.  All in all, satisfied with the kit.

Thank you Frank, still a bit reluctant to buy the 1959 kit, maybe I try to make an offer. I´m still torn between plastic and wood. I would prefer wood but the plastic model seems also convenient.

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

• The title was changed to CSS Alabama by Frank Burroughs - Revell - 1/96 - PLASTIC

On wood, I'm starting out on a dory, a pram and a lobster boat.  This is all leading to the French Steam and Sail Paddlewheeler L'Orenoque Mamoli.

On plastic, I do not think I'll ever give these kits up.  The only limits are time, money and scratch build goals.  There are so many models from when I was a kid to build!

CSS Alabama ups my game from the whaler.  Bigger in size, and parts are upgraded.  It won't be a museum piece.  This kit leans towards teaching new skills.  A mini-lathe was bought to turn the masts and yards.  Today I am moving the motor back 5 1/2 inches to give room for a ten inch mast.  Have not used a lathe since1973.  Still goes around,right?

• 2 weeks later...

Reading the multitude of books recently acquired.  

A two way approach to making the three mast and yards.  The jig will rough shape the dowel and the lathe will finish them off.

image.png.920ae7c52c8c26a937a727c511e118fe.png

Need some help with "ins" column and the column to the right.  Not sure what they are.

Finished adapting the mini-lathe for a ten inch mast.

image.thumb.png.f261509e2889d5a0befa5636278712a5.png

Finished the jig for doing the rough shaping of mast and yards.  In the channel tapered slips of wood in a triangle shape of different depths will be inserted when it is known what is needed.

image.thumb.png.0d2669914f44e06d3493648aabee2942.png

Still painting on the model.

Edited by Frank Burroughs
add more