Sugi Pine is the national tree of Japan.  I live in Hawaii where the trees have been planted and can get some small pieces of this wood.  It is very dark.  Has anyone used it for model building? 

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Oh, Boy!! Finally a bonsai-related question--- sort of. Sugi pine-- not a pine--- is often called Japanese Cedar-- not a cedar-- but falls in the genus cryptomeria. The wood is quite beautiful and wonderfully aromatic, so it gets used for drawer and closet linings in Japan. I have a bunch of trivets made of sugi that really perfume the air when you set a hot cast iron teapot, etc., on them. The wood is light and a bit soft, yet pretty strong. Its much like US red cedar, and spruce--- often used for instrument tops. As to its use on model ships, it may be too splitty for final planking, but should be nice for deck furniture, or applications where softwoods are suitable. Grsjax, you may just decide to sit and smell that smell when you go to saw it up!

john

Hi John

Thanks for the info.  The wood is hard to come by so I thought I would grab some pieces while they were available.  Good to know it is nice stuff just to have around.  If I can figure out how to do it I will post a picture of the wood.  I can only get offcuts of the wood the owner has left over.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

No doubt, Brain.... this love for miniatures must be some kind of genetic kink. Did you know Vita and Dot Koreshoff?? I met them in 1974--- those guys really flew the art by the seat of the pants down there and came up with some lasting principles that I'll bet you guys still follow. Is Deborah K. still active?? I know she left the art for years.

I grew up in L.A. Ca. and was lucky enough to know all the old timers. Check "Albuquerque Bonsai Club" online for an 8x10 glossy suitable for framing, and my complimentary autobiography.....

john