Viking Ship Drakkar by Amfibius - FINISHED - Amati - Scale 1:50

I just used it as it is. It didn't occur to me to mix it with water, to be honest! Hmm, something to experiment with then. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

• 1 month later...

Hi Keith-- I just received my kit and will be starting up on it today. Thanks for your detailed postings. I'll be using this to guide me along. By the way, my high school football (American-style!) team was the Northeast Vikings, so this ship will fit right into my fleet.  Steve B.

Steve Barth

Douglasville, Ga. USA

Current build:     AL King of the Mississippi

Previous builds:  Midwest Skipjack

MS Pride of Baltimore

MS Bounty Launch

Bluejacket USS Monitor

Bluejacket CSS Virginia

Good to hear Steve, I would love to see your build log when you get started. One thing I like about other build logs is seeing how other modellers interpret the same ship - no doubt you will have a different take on it. 

By the way, I almost can't stand to look at this build log now. I am embarassed at all the mistakes I made. If I were to do it again, I would stain the wood prior to gluing, and I would be more careful mopping up excess glue - basic things that every ship modeller should know, but something I had forgotten in my many years break from ship modelling. 

Edited by Amfibius

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

Keith, you shouldn't be embarrassed about making 'mistakes'. I've done several models now and haven't made a perfect one yet. I doubt if anyone here has either. I'll start up a log as soon as I can find my camera. If it comes out looking half as good as yours, I'll be satisfied. By the way, I also built the Bounty Launch a couple of years ago. I've thought about doing a 'full Bounty' sometime in the future to go along with it. Maybe after my Viking sets sail. 

Steve Barth

Douglasville, Ga. USA

Current build:     AL King of the Mississippi

Previous builds:  Midwest Skipjack

MS Pride of Baltimore

MS Bounty Launch

Bluejacket USS Monitor

Bluejacket CSS Virginia

• 7 months later...

Finally, you have posted a build log! I will be following this with interest. Also hope to see your model in the wood very soon :)

Keith,

I've just been looking at your fantastic Viking Drakkar. I'm new to the whole business of model shipwright work, and am looking at starting with a Drakkar. Seeing your efforts has only inspired me to follow in your footsteps. Any hints or tips on particularly difficult, rewarding and surprising issues during your build?

Regards,

Julian

Hi Steve and Julian, thanks for dropping in. This kit is clinker planked, which is a whole new challenge by itself. The other disappointment was the plywood that was supplied for the planking. The problem with plywood is that it tends to delaminate when it is soaked, so you have to be very careful when you bend the planks. You can not use plank nippers to bend the plank either, since you will be able to see both sides of the plank.

Then there is the problem of how you are going to clamp the planks when you are assembling the kit! The frames are too thin to use clamping screws, and using nails will leave holes in the planks. Holes aren't so much of a problem if you plan to show the nails as a feature once the boat is built.

I used super glue to avoid the clamping problem, but this left ugly stain marks on the finished boat which I had to spend much time sanding off. If I were to do it again, I would probably use small spots of super glue gel to avoid the likelihood of glue running all over the place with sprays of accelerant to set it quickly. Hopefully, more experienced modellers than me can come up with suggestions on how to clamp these planks.

Regards, Keith

• 4 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Question for you, those small black cross shaped thread/rope patterns with the short bit hanging down from the sail. Do you know what those are called and what significance or purpose did they serve? I swear I've seen those before but I don't know where, nor do I know what to call them to try to find out any information.

Matt

Completed Builds: Viking Drakkar - Amati - Scale 1:50

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48

• 2 weeks later...

I found the answer to my question above and thought I'd come back and post it for others. Those ropes are called reef points and they go through the sail and are knotted on both sides leaving a length on both sides. The purpose is to roll the sail up from the bottom and use those reef points to tie it up, thus reducing the size of the sail. This is done for strong winds. There were multiple rows of reef points to reduce the sail to a variety of smaller sizes. This whole process is called reefing.

Matt

Completed Builds: Viking Drakkar - Amati - Scale 1:50

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48