HM Bomb Vessel Granado 1756 by Craigie65 - Caldercraft - 1:64

Just had a fight with the brass sheer rail :(

Softened the brass but there is still a bit too much spring in the metal. Using epoxy resin glue to attach it to the hull/capping rail, but did not hold the rail where is curves round the bow. Possibly I did not leave it clamped long enough to cure fully. Will try again in the morning.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Thanks Mick

Looking at Timmo's log I see he used a strip of wood instead to fashion his own profile . I do wonder if that would have been a better option

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Yep, reasons why I went with timber were half aesthetics and half because I didn't like the thought of fitting that heavy brass to the right curve and then relying on ithe bond holding it to the timber.

But many others have made it work

Well here goes! Off to the man cave to wrestle with that rail. I need to allow it more cure time. As it is a nice day (dry) I think a visit to Doune Castle is in order - "is that an European or African swallow?"

"Nyee"

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Right second rail is working better than the first. It would seem that I did not heat the first rail enough. The second one is far more malleable. So use the gas cooker not a candle to get it hot enough!

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

And the moment of truth approaches. Just removed the clamp that was holding the troublesome sheer rail and it's still attached to the hull :)

I guess leaving it for 24 hours to cure fully worked. Hopefully the rail on the port side will not give me the same problem.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

One down , one to go....hope the second rail goes on smoothly for you.

Mick

Second rail gave me no trouble at all. Trick is to heat it enough to make it malleable but not melt the metal!

Both rails are now own. I'll try and get some photos on this weekend

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable