Size of blocks for MS Bluenose 1/64 scale.

Need some help on what sizes of blocks to use.  I am presently making the fore/boom gaffs on the Bluenose.  I noticed the plans call for 7/32" single blocks and more 7/32" single and double blocks on the masts.  There are not any supplied with the kit.  What size of blocks can I substitute for these blocks?

Dave - if this is the Model Shipways kit, I'd suggest reaching out to Model Expo for replacement parts.  They have always replaced missing or broken parts for me with no questions and at no charge.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Bob

The 7/32" blocks are not supplied in the Model Shipways kit and when I looked online they did not have any.  I contacted Model Expo and they suggested I post my question on this forum page.  5/32" single, 5/32" double and 9/32" triple were supplied with this Model Shipways kit.

Dave

David,

You can make your own blocks with hand tools, including Xacto knife, files, and sand paper.  You will need a drill or pin vise as well.   There are some very good posts in this forum on block making.  You can also purchase them from The Syren Ship Model Company in various sizes but they might not be the same as those in the kit.  I would guess those form SSMC would actually be far superior to the kit supplied blocks so may look odd on the rigged model. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Dave - I'm sorry to hear the blocks are no longer supplied.  It seems that several things have disappeared over time (the walnut veneer for the second planking was the first item I am aware of that went missing from later kits).

My older version does have the 7/32 blocks included.  They look a bit oversized to me.  If you are going to purchase blocks I'd recommend going down in size - the 5/32 might do the trick.  Are there enough of those in the kit to substitute for the halyard blocks?  Or as Allan said, making your own blocks is an option.  There are some threads on MSW that describe peoples techniques for doing this.

BTW - I'd love to see photos of your work so far - or even a build log if you are of a mind to do so.  The more Bluenoses out there, the better!  And welcome to MSW.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd