Jump to content

Understanding the term "scantling"-edited by admin

Recommended Posts

Good Question!  In Steel's 1805 Shipbuilders Vade Mecum, he defines SCANTLING as The dimensions given for the timbers,plank, &c. Likewise, all quartering under five inches square, which is termed scantling; all above that size is called CARLING.


Griffith, in his 1853 Shipbuilders Manual and Nautical Reference, provides several tables relating the moulded and sided scantling of various frame and structural members to the length, depth and breadth of a vessel.


Oops - another set of terms!


In general, MOULDED is the dimension from inside of the hull to outside, and SIDED runs perpendicular (more or less) to that dimension or along the curve of the hull.


Based on the narrative you provide, it sounds as though the dimensions of the frame members around the hawse holes is increased (probably SIDED dimension) so that they can be fated (or fitted may be the more modern term) together.  If you look at some of the exceptional scratch builds here, there are some good pictures of how that works.


Hope that helps a little!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...