As I'm contemplating starting the Pinky Schooner, and looking at photos of finished models, I have this thought about covering the cabin roofs in canvas and paint just like would have been done on a real boat to waterproof the cabin roof.

The builds I've seen just have a planked up roof that I don't see how could be waterproof. So, I'd like mine to appear as though they are even though they don't really need to be.  I did some searching around and can't seem to find any reference to canvassing a model's cabin roof. Has anybody done it? What kind of fabric did you use? I'll have to look in the fabric store for something that resembles canvas in the model scale - maybe a muslin?  Any thoughts?   Pics?  

Tim

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail    

If you wish to simulate canvas, depending on the scale you can use tissue paper. cigaret paper, or rice paper.  Experiment with a wash and you will not be able to tell the difference.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Surgical tape sounds like a great idea. I'm going to try a few samples of paper products and the tape to see what I get.

Any other ideas?

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail