The 74 that I am modeling has a hanging magazine. The magazine proper, as you know. hangs below the O deck and extends three or four feet on top of the O deck. However, the bulkhead extends to the underside of the Gun deck. What is this area used for??? The most logical answer would be for powder kegs. But I don't remember having read that anywhere. Can anyone help me out here, please???

Also, as an aside; if there are 74 guns on the ship, with about 80 rounds each, I can't not understand how they would all fit in the shot lockers. What am I missing???

Thanks guys,

Larry

Larry,

Where did you get the 80 rounds per gun?  I am not doubting the number, but quick calculations, assuming an average of about 5 inch diameter shot, has the lockers having capacity for half that amount and there surely were not 40 rounds per gun on deck. 

Can you send a picture of the area on the hanging magazine top.  Are you sure it is not just the curved entries to the magazine and light room?

Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Gary Bishop shared the following from Caruana Volume 2 page 67 with me:  Regulation of 1723, for Foreign Service in time of war (PRO WO 55-1739). Round shot, 100 gun- 9440, 90 gun- 8480, 80 gun-7480, 70 gun-6480, 60 gun-5520, 50 gun-4560, 40 gun-3600, 30 gun-2840, 20 gun-1680.

They are talking over 90 rounds of round shot.  This does not include grape which was from about 4 to 7 rounds per gun according to the 1745 Establishment.

So, to answer your question, where did this stuff get stored.   Shot lockers. shot racks on the various decks, and ??????  I would like to know this myself.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan,

Unfortunately I do not currently have the means to take pics of my build. I wish I did, so I could start my own build log. I would like to show you all what I am doing. I am severely disabled, my legs were amputated 3 -4 years ago and mobility is an issue with me. I have to do all my shopping on line, but I am working towards being able to do that. However, Gary has several on page 6 of his build log.

I am referring to the magazine proper, not the light room. Yes there is an ark type symbol there also. After several years of pre=engineering one would think I would know what that ark thing is; I have no idea....The fore and aft bulkheads extend from below the Orlop deck to the Gun deck. However, the magazine deckhead appears to stop somewhere in between.. (Goodwin, pp 125, fig 4/8).

I don't remember where I got the number of shot at 80> Are you satisfied with the number you obtained or do you wish me to justify my number????

Thanks to all,

Larry

Your number of 80 is close to what was written in Caruana, so I certainly would not quibble.  The arched ceiling was, I think, so one could get up or down the ladder without having to bend over and crawl onto or out of the steps, especially if carrying goods up from the magazine.  The attached may be of some help.  This the aft magazine on a 36. The top sticks up above the platform and the arch goes to the beams of the lower deck.  Hope this helps.

Allan

post-42-0-81029400-1396304467_thumb.jpg