When scratch-building bulkheads, better to use plywood or regular wood?

I'm about to start a scratch-building plank on bulkhead project, and I was wondering if it would be better to use milled wood or plywood. I'm concerned both about warping, and about exactness of the thickness of the wood I end up using. Also, what about outgassing or warping of plywood? 

5 ply Model plywood will work great for bulkheads. It is stable and you can cut it any shape you want.

David B

No matter whether you use ply or solid wood, the panels have to be balanced; that is to say, an odd number of layers, preferably with grain in each layer at right angles to the adjacent one.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

How does this apply to solid wood? And isn't all plywood laid with alternating directions of grain? That's what gives plywood its strength, no? In any case I was just thinking of getting 3mm Micro Lite plywood, I've bought some of their thinner plywood and it looks like high quality stuff...

Well, if you want to use solid wood, you would use a thin sheet to begin with, then lay the styles and rails on both sides, to balance the 'sandwich'. Three layers, just like ply.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv