Not sure if this the right place for this question, but seemed the closest.   Im planning a bashed canoe project and wondering if anyone has scratch built the below pictured woven seats or anything like it.   Looking for material inspiration and/or experience building such things.  

Thanks in advance.  

post-13870-0-02331800-1404406432_thumb.png

What scale are you working in.  I know a few modelers and miniturist who have used bamboo as it can be drawn very fine. 

David B

What scale are you working in.  I know a few modelers and miniturist who have used bamboo as it can be drawn very fine. 

David B

1/12, I was thinking the very same thing. Possibly just weave it myself, but have not quite worked out how I would do that.   Setting one direction with CA at the ends, then weaving the other direction just the same?     Sounds good enough to give it a shot.   

post-227-0-72857500-1404421719_thumb.jpgHere is a photo of a canoe from Maintowoc at a scale of 1:12

David B

Edited by dgbot

Here is a photo of a canoe from Maintowoc at a scale of 1:12

David B

Wow thats great, though a little blurry.  Wonder how the builder got those nail-heads along the ribbing to come through, possible wax? Looks like the kind of detail Im going to be going for.  

Maintowoc a builder?   
Edited by maturin

Those were brass rod the holes were drilled then the rod was press fit and the end was pinged as if there were clinch nails.

David B

I did a canoe  and I used aida cloth (used in cross stitching) It comes in all kinds of weave , I found one I liked and I removed every other strand to get the desired seat weave pattern. Do a Google image search for  aida cloth. hope that helps

current build : Apostol Felipe

past : Mississippi riverboat, Albatross and a few midwest kits

future : Santisima Trinidad

Those were brass rod the holes were drilled then the rod was press fit and the end was pinged as if there were clinch nails.

David B

Obviously those are the nail along the gunwales, but what about those tiny black dots inside the canoe in a repeating pattern of three?   Looks like maybe just pencil marks..   Ive also seen someone use wax for this, but thats a lot of holes to fill.

I did a canoe  and I used aida cloth (used in cross stitching) It comes in all kinds of weave , I found one I liked and I removed every other strand to get the desired seat weave pattern. Do a Google image search for  aida cloth. hope that helps

Thats a great idea!   Im sure my wife has some of that laying around somewhere.  Perhaps a little tea to die the color a bit more vintage.