Constructo. HMS Victory Masting parts.

koppite

Hi there, I am new to this forum.

Can anyone help .  I have just been presented with an almost complete, unmade "Constructo" kit of HMS Victory in 1.98 scale.

My problem is that upon checking the pack I have found that the kit contains no masts or spars.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I may be able to locate these items.

Regards. Bob Lloyd. koppite.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that Cornwall model boats may be able to supply me with a set of masts, spars etc in 1.96 scale.  Am I right in believing that they will be just a little larger than required for my Constructo kit which is in 1.98 scale.?    I ask the question because Cornwall model boats suggest that they will be smaller than that which I require.

Hi neptune, thanks for that,

I thought that I was right but it was midnight here and the brain was in neutral.  I shall contact the company and ovbtain the items.  I can easily alter them to match the plans for my model.

Have a nice day mate.

Bob.

• 4 months later...

Hi Paul.

No I am still trying to obtain the masts and spars from CMB.  They in turn acquire them from RB Models who I believe are in Poland.

I think when I eventually begin the model, I shall be using standard dowels from BQ  and tapering them on a makeshift lathe. Currently I am about two thirds along building a Billing Boats 1/75 scale Cutty Sark.

While on the subject, I can only echo the comments of other modellers with regard to the magnificent job you are doing on your Constructo Victory.

I have you on watching and am enjoying every new piece of information.  Great job mate.

Bob.

Thanks Bob, the kit only supplies a few dowel diameters, nothing special, I'm assuming that

You have the blocks to which there joined. I will message you lengths \ diameters later, that said if you go to the back of the white parts book ( if you have it ) the stock and quantities are all there, I only found this by mistake really as I thought it was for all the foreign languages. Also the lengths and dia are also stated in the bulild lists.

Hi Paul.

I believe that I have all of the plans, 6 in number, the colour instruction book and also the assembly instructions in white paper.

Looking at the back of the white parts book from page A33-72 I find the parts diagrams, inc. brass frets.  Would that equate with your kit?.

Bob

Yes that's the same, look.at page A33 -70 for example item 292 10X750 Anatolia that's one of the dowls used to make the bowspit, by matching the two books you can sus out what dowls are needed and there sizes. Also and probably easier use the plans.

Edited by Paul0367

Oh I see.  That will simplify things. I am OK at reading plans.  In my youth back in the 60's I worked as a wood machinist for building firms.  I could turn a tree into a window frame from the drawings provided for us.  

I shall make a list from the plans and head off to B Q and see what is available.

With regard to the masts and spars from CMB,  I know that they will be to a scale of 1:96, but it is such a small difference that if they do become available I shall purchase them.

However thanks for the info, I have learned something today.

Bob. 

• 4 months later...

Hi there, i'm back again.  

For the last 7-8 months I have been waiting for RB models to provide the HMS Victory masts and spars missing from my kit so I can commence building of my Constructo Victory.  Cornwall Model Boats say they have no idea if or when they may appear.  In the meantime my  Victory has lain dormant.  I have now obtained a large amount of dowelling from a local DIY store.  I have cut them all to length intending to start the build.

Eureka, in a moment of madness, my lovely other half allowed me to purchase the Caldercraft  Victory.  I was fortunate to be able to pick it up from that other fine company in Cornwall,  "Model Dockyard".  By good fortune just one was available last weekend, reduced by about £125.00.  We bought it !!!.

What a monster of a model, it's brilliant.

As a result, I have listed the Constructo Victory on E-Bay to maybe recoup some cash.

I am just completing a Billling 1-75 scale Cutty Sark then it's onto the Vic.  I thank other members for their help and advice with the Constructo kit.

I am now following the many who have the Caldercraft model.

Happy days.