I'm having difficulty with the 1st planking of HMS Supply, basically I'm not sure what the profile should be at the stern, the instructions are very vague and I can't find a good picture in the gallery to guide me.  The main difficulty I'm having is with the shape below the stern gallery. 

I am a little ahead of you on the Caldercraft Supply. Just installing copper plating. Hope these pics of the stern section are of help. I did not use the stern counter pattern supplied (part 73) I used the supplied one as a template and then cut one out of thinner basswood and planked it.

Cheers

post-1505-0-97597000-1415651429_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-18474200-1415651471_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-85965700-1415651491_thumb.jpg

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Hi again Mick868

Further good pics of the Supply can be found at the address below. It is in a slightly different configuration but the pics are fairly high resolution and are worth a look. Picture Number 6 is a stern view of the model and may also help you with your build.

Hope this helps

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=238338&img=182799

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Hi Mick

As to coppering of the hull. I original tossed up between buying the Caldercraft Supply and the Modeller's Shipyard version (see link below)

The modellers Shipyard version is coppered but was a lot more expensive. While in communication with modellers Shipyard, I was told that Supply was indeed coppered.  If you check out the history of coppering hulls of Royal Navy  you will see that the process begun in 1779. Wikipedia states " all ships up to and including 44 gun ships were  ordered to be coppered when  next in dry dock" By 1786 the entire fleet was apparently sheathed. The Supply remained in service to the Royal Navy until 1791 and was the  used as a coal carrier until 1806. One would have to assume therefore that she was coppered at some stage in her long career. I presume that Caldercraft did not include copper plates to keep costs of the kit down. I actually pinched the copper plates from my Caldercraft HMS Bounty kit (next in line to be built) and in the same scale.  I ordered some more for her from Cornwall Model Boats. They supplied and are  delivering the plates for less than half the price that I can get them in Australia - Go Figure???

http://www.modelshipyard.com.au/ship-models/modellers-shipyard/hms-supply-first-fleet-1788/

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Looks like I might be coppering mine then, I coppered my HMS Pandora and even though I couldn't get exactly the right sized copper plates it looked right when finished.  It helped to have the 'Anatomy of the Ship' book as a reference.  I notice on your photos that you are plating the bottom of the keel with copper.  I thought this was covered in lead along with the leading and trailing edges of the rudder, when i built pandora I used thin tin sheet to simulate the lead, once it oxidised it looked fine.

In reality you may be correct Mick. I am no expert on the history or the plating of ships in the 'real world.' This is only the second ship I have coppered and I have looked at a lot of models on this site for guidance and watched the 'Modellers Shipyard' DVD guide to coppering a hull. They all seem to be coppered in a similar fashion. Thanks for the information though, I will do some research. It wouldn't be hard to remove the plates and replace them with something else if necessary. I haven't built the rudder yet either.

If anyone else out there could shed some light on this issue in relation to modelling, I'd appreciate the input!!

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory