After 17 years I came a across a box with virtually all the parts to the USS CONSTELLATION wooden model kit I once started and never got around to working on. Now retired, I looked at was done, and must say it was done poorly with no forethought and planning.

I had gotten as far as placing the frames to false hull, the decks atop and catwalks, and about 40% of the distorted planking.

I decided to remove all the planking. In doing so, some of the nails did not all come out, and were clipped off, meaning the remnants of those nails are embedded within some of the frames. I then sanded frames, and see the frames are not all even for re-planking. Have read some, so far on how to best plank, but given the condition of the frames, I don'tknow if re-planking will provide good results, or to just scap what was done and order the parts from Artesania Latino, as I have already ordered and received the new planks.

I prefer the challenge of the former, and therefore ask people in the know, like yourselves, what is best to do in obtaining positive results by replanking to the existing frames?

I have attached three photos of the now 'unplanked' frames I would like to replank.

Look to hear from some one(s) on the matter.

Thanks in advance. Best regards to all. Vince.

post-18310-0-84704800-1425549818_thumb.jpg

post-18310-0-75906100-1425549842_thumb.jpg

post-18310-0-52065900-1425549870_thumb.jpg

Is this a one or two layers of planking kit?

In any case, re-planking is possible if you take the care to check which planks are under level and which above level. One and the other can be fixed by either sanding down or adding pieces of scrap planks vertically over the frame.

Not sure if this will help.

Best regards.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Vince it looks as if the bulkheads have not been "faired" so you need to do that before planking.Go to the site below and read over the instructions for planking.  Should help you understand what it needed.  There are other planking tutorials in the Resources" section, jut click on The Nautical Research Guild Home Page at the top of this page.   Keep the photos coming (set up a build log)  then we can always talk you through most problems, some of us have already had them, we all had to learn.

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Framing_and_Planking/plankingprojectbeginners.pdf

Tom

Tom is right, the moment I saw you bulkheads I thought that you had not faired your frames enough. Fairing the frames gives a smooth run of planks, avoids any lumps, and provides a larger surface for gluing. And yes, start a build log. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Agree with above advice but would also suggest you add another 'filler' block on either side of the keel on the bow end. Given the condition of the keel at this point, I think it will make planking a lot easier. Just make sure you add it before commencing fairing in the bulkheads.

The following YouTube clip may also give you some help with the fairing in process.

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina