Question on positioning of swivel guns - 18th century frigate.

I am trying to determine where the foremost two swivel guns are fitted on a mid 18th century British frigate which has a beakhead bow.

I can find plenty of pictures showing those on round bows where they are fitted side by side on the knightheads(?). In this position they are readily accessible from the foredeck.

However the knightheads on a beakhead bow appear to me to be in an inconvenient position for any hostile action hence an unsuitable location for the two guns.

Can anyone clarify the positioning of these guns for me?

Ian M.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Hello Ian, it may be that swivels were not fitted in that location, do you have a particular class of Frigate in mind. The usual  indication of a swivel gun is the stock into which it fitted. there were usually more stocks than swivel guns carried.

The only contemporary model with a beakhead bulkhead I have seen with swivel stocks is of a sixth rate 24 gun ship cica 1740.

this had stocks for swivels on the foc'sle (two each side) the foremost one aft of the cathead.

B.E.

B.E.

Thanks for the reply.

I am making the 1748 HMS Unicorn (using the Coral 1:75 kit) which according to the information I have pulled together had 24 nine pounder cannon on the upper deck, 4  three pounder cannon of the quarter deck and 12 half pound swivel guns. (Corel don't supply or document the swivel guns.)

I think the swivels mounted as per the 1740 ship would give me 10 of them with six mounted on the quarter deck which leaves me two short.  

Although the Unicorn seems to have been a bit of an oddball a contemporary model of a 1740 ship would be a good guide for me. Which model is this? 

Looking at the plans that Chuck has produced for Winchelsea - which is a larger development of Unicorn/Lyme I am happy about the position of 10 of the swivel guns.

All good historical research generates more questions than answers! :)

BTW. I am enjoying your Pegasus build log which is giving me inspiration and some excellent input to my model.

Ian M.

Ian M.

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

B.E.

That is excellent. I will go with that ie 4 on the foc'sle and 8 on the quarter deck.

Thanks again.

BTW. I should really have turned my own barrels up but have opted to order some Caldercraft barrels. They are 1:64 which means that they will be about 2mm too long for 1:75 but I am hoping this will not be too obvious when they are fitted.

Ian M.

Ian M.