It seems that basswood is frequently used in kits. Yet,, a number of builders seem to gravitate towards different woods,I.e., walnut, pear wood, etc.. Is the use of bass wood a cost issue it are there other reasons it seem to used iso often?

Thanks, Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Richard:

I suspect it is mostly a cost issue, but basswood is also much easier to cut and sand and that makes it a little easier to work with if you only have some very basic cutting and sanding tools, such as kit builders are more likely to have. The more dense woods are definitely more expensive and might require a few more tools, depending on how much cutting and sanding you need to do on them.

Take any given kit using basswood and upgrade to pear, cherry, etc and the kit cost will be much higher. Thus it is less likely that the kit will sell in volume.

Russ

Its not just the cost issue but that is a big part of it.  Its also the ability to get enough of the other wood in significant quantities.  Consider the amount of kits that are sold each year.  Thats a lot of wood.  I suspect that if a kit MFG were to open in South America. You would see boxwood being used.   BUT the mfg's in North America have a plentiful and inexpensive source of wood with basswood.

Chuck

Ok, so I understand the use of basswood in kits in the U.S. I use basswood extensively in my sculpting due to its tight grain and it being easy to work. It also does not dull my chisels and gauges as quickly as other woods.

Still curious, do manufacturers in other countries use basswood or rely on other woods in their kits?

Also, do scratch builders use basswood or do they invest in more exotic woods?

I appreciate the education. Thanks to all.

Richard

Richard

European manufacturers generally go with lime which is very much like basswood for the their first planking layers, then they use walnut or or some other similar wood in veneers for the outer layer planking. One problem with walnut or mahogony is that these woods have a somewhat coarse and open grain pattern. That makes them some difficult to work with in scale sizes that are found in kits. They also use these woods in veneers rather than the thicker strips. In veneers, the grain does not always run along the length of the strip or sheet. Walnut and mahogony veneers tend to splinter and chip.

That is interesting that you use basswood in sculpting and that it does not dull your chisels. I would not have thought that basswood would not be much use in sculpting because it is very soft and does not hold an edge very well. For that same reason it is usually a bit hard on blades. What sort of sculpting do you do?  

As for scratch builders, you will find as many opinions as colors in the sunset. It just depends on the person. I use some basswood, but I have also used cherry, a bit of walnut, boxwood, birch, alder, dogwood here and there, and a few others. The short answer to your question is "yes."

Russ

Dave:

I see what you mean about sculpting in full size, but I thought he was talking about scale modeling.

Russ

I sculpt figures which have been about 20" - 24" tall. Also some other smaller pieces. It is rare to get dried wood any larger that has the width required. I am not thrilled with assembling multiple pieces because of the seams that are readily visible in the finished work. .

The work gouges do require constant sharpening. I have a an electric Sharpener that has both whetstone and strop. Stropping occurs regularly but I am able to go long periods without grinding. .

My comment was related to the use of harder, more exotic woods that would require much more frequent stropping, as well as more grinding. In my limited work at the scale of ship models, it would seem that carving, shaping and sanding basswood pieces would be easier on the hand and less wearing on the tools used. Perhaps this is not with the smaller scale of the pieces used in models.

That opinion might change as I gain more experience with models.

Edited by rtropp

Richard