St Roch by Simonf - Billing Boats 604

onto the next build :D

i started building this kit a couple of days ago and so far ive got the hull framing done on both half of the boat, ive also got the false decks glued down and started to shape the hull ready for planking, ive also made a start on some of the deck structures too 

post-929-0-93322500-1362780400_thumb.jpg

post-929-0-08342000-1362780413_thumb.jpg

post-929-0-63794000-1362780419_thumb.jpg

post-929-0-71012000-1362780426_thumb.jpg

post-929-0-85086800-1362780443_thumb.jpg

post-929-0-49855500-1362780454_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Simonf I started this last month.  One hull half planked (rough).  I also started several deck structures, etc.  I can send photos if you are interested.  A couple things I would recommend right away are to figure out how masts will be supported (some extra wood under decks), and beware of how bullwark 19 is applied to frame.  I think I did mine wrong, which will result in tumble-home of bullwark at stern.  Once again  can provide details/photos if interested.  On a side note, in my kit I received two F100 whereas 3 are required, and 3 F112 whereas only 2 are needed.  Plus no F72 seen on drawing for tall mast outfitting is provided or identified.  Not unsurmountable problems but I was wondering if your kit is similarly deficient.  As for materials I am happy with most items except the rigging thread F71 seems to be low quality.  I used it on the dog-sled and it looks primitive (I am sure the mounties would not approve).  I will be looking for some other material for rigging. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Been six months I know but any updates on this? The St Roch is on my short list!

Update: Just had a look at the plans and F100 are the lights and it lists only two which is correct, one port and one starboard. F113 are vents but can't see where they are fitted. I think blocks below decks is a good idea for the masts.

Second update! Just looked at photo's of the original and there IS a third (white) light pictured but not sure Billings mention this?!!!

Edited by Q A's Revenge

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone working on the St Roch lives outside of the Lower Mainland of BC, I can forward reference shots of the real thing, kept in the Vancouver Maritime museum. I sent a number of shots to another forum member who had a St Roch build log on the old MSW....but i think he may have discontinued his build.....let me know if you're interested....

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hamilton, if you have any photos of St Roch can you post them on MSW? I would be really interested in seeing them. Thanks!

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

If anyone working on the St Roch lives outside of the Lower Mainland of BC, I can forward reference shots of the real thing, kept in the Vancouver Maritime museum. I sent a number of shots to another forum member who had a St Roch build log on the old MSW....but i think he may have discontinued his build.....let me know if you're interested....

Hamilton I have started on St Roch and i am interested in your pictures.

Wilbar

If any moderators are reading this - is there a place where I can post my photos of the St Roch? Maybe in one of the sub-forums as a separate topic? Would like to share, but not sure where the best place would be....don't also want to take over this log....

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Those are the ones - I often take our son to the VMM, but currently the St Roch is closed for renovations. Not sure when it will be open again, but if the photos on that link don't serve or if there's a specific element you want a photo of, I can try to find out at the museum when it will re-open (soon I imagine - it's been off limits for a long while) and get in there to get some more shots - taking requests now

hamilton

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Wow, has it been that long since I started my build

First off, i apologise for not replying or posting any updates here for a while, I decided to take a break from building for a while and concentrate on others things, but I think now I'm gonna have another crack at and get the st roch finished

Looking forward to some more progress on this one! Glad to see you're back

hamilton