HMS Agamemnon by Decoyman - FINISHED - Caldercraft

Hi Rob,

I followed your build and downloaded all your photos from MSW 1.0 as this is one of 2 builds I really want to do.

I always thought of your build as the Agamemnon equivalent of Gil's Victory.

Beautiful Ship although some more photos of close ups and details would be appreciated.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Thank you all for your kind words.

Slog: comparing my work with Gil's is praise indeed and I'm not sure I deserve it! I'll take some detail pictures at the weekend at post them in the completed builds gallery. I might also post all the progress photos I took over the years here, even if I haven't got the oomph to re-write all the words.

George: glad I inspired you, keep up the good work. It's a great kit and the end result is very pleasing.

Regards to all.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Everyone!

I haven't completely abandoned this log, but my mind is a bit preoccupied with my new project (see my signature).

Some of you may be interested to know that Agamemnon will be on display at the forthcoming Model Engineer Exhibition at Sandown Race Course in Surrey from 13-15 December (assuming I can find a way to move such a big and fragile model). You can find out more about it at http://www.modelengineershow.co.uk. I'm also pleased to say there is a photo of her in the current edition of Model Engineer - fame at last!

Kind regards

Rob

The other bit of progress achieved before I started my log was to install and plank the upper gun deck. Since then I have made the various fittings, including gratings, bitts and the stove.

Like most kits the gratings come as notched strips like coarse combs. I found the easiest way to assemble these was to fit them together dry and then to dip them in dilute PVA. Once the glue had set I trimmed off the excess timber and sanded the top, bottom and sides. Here are some step by step photos:

attachicon.gifP1000513.jpg

Some of the gratings dry-assembled. A 'grid' is made to suit the overall size of each grating:

attachicon.gifP1000512.jpg

Next the gratings were dipped in dilute PVA and then the excess dabbed away using kitchen towel:

attachicon.gifP1000514.jpg

attachicon.gifP1000515.jpg

attachicon.gifP1000516.jpg

Finally each grating was trimmed and sanded smooth:

attachicon.gifP1000519.jpg

Once this stage was complete I added the coamings around each hatch, some of which incorporate the openings for the companionways between decks. 

attachicon.gifP1000528.jpg

Here is an example of one in situ. The corners were cut square and butted. I believe the real ones were half-lapped at the corners, but I didn't think this would be visible at this scale.

And here are a few more. On some of these you can see that i have added shot garlands along the sides.

attachicon.gifP1000525.jpg

attachicon.gifP1000526.jpg

attachicon.gifP1000524.jpg

Rob

Hi Rob,

She is looking great Well gone, Keep up the good work!! do love Looking a peoples pictures and process.

But i have a question about this post, I see you  soak to diluted pva, but when dry, do you sand down to paint/stain or varnish.? not seen it done like this before and Soon ill be starting the CC Victory,

Rich.

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

But i have a question about this post, I see you  soak to diluted pva, but when dry, do you sand down to paint/stain or varnish.? not seen it done like this before and Soon ill be starting the CC Victory,

I sanded the exposed faces using 180 grit (fine) sandpaper. The dilute PVA soaks into the wood and holds the pieces together. Once it's dry it looks the same and sands the same as normal.

Rob