Small vessel at largish scale.

mikeaidanh

I would like some advice please.

I want to build a small vessel, say a ship's long boat or launch, at a scale of around 25:1. Are there any kits that are recommendable? If there are are they reasonably accurate from a historic perspective and are the build instructions of a good standard?

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

I can't speak to the historical accuracy but I would think the Model Shipways Pinnacle would fit the bill:

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS1458

Although if you are willing to try a 1:50 scale then I would go for the longboat since you get Chuck's amazing instructions with it:

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS1457

Just a couple ideas.  I'm sure others will chime in with some options for you.  Good luck!

-------------------------------
In Progress Build:

Robert E. Lee by Scientific a.k.a "The Bob"

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Thanks Jarero,

I am looking at your suggestions but would need a UK / Europe supplier I think due to the shipping charges from the USA.

In addition to my initial question does anyone have views on the AL HMS Bounty Jolly Boat kit?

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Thanks Jarero,

I am looking at your suggestions but would need a UK / Europe supplier I think due to the shipping charges from the USA.

In addition to my initial question does anyone have views on the AL HMS Bounty Jolly Boat kit?

Mike.

No problem Mike.  I am not sure about a supplier for the UK but I'm sure someone will have an idea.  My wife built the that Jolly Boat kit as her first model and she had a lot of fun with it. 

Here is a link to here build log for it:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/123-hms-bounty-jolly-boat-by-slagoon-artesania-latina-125-first-build/?hl=%2Bbounty+%2Bjolly

Oh and there is definitely some history behind that little boat!

-------------------------------
In Progress Build:

Robert E. Lee by Scientific a.k.a "The Bob"

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

MIke, I liked that boat, but I think that even with the shipping the Model Expo longboat would be more fun to do....You can give Model Expo a call and see if they have alternate slower (less expensive) shipping for overseas...(They have high shipping costs stateside too, part of what you are paying for is their amazing service) however I will say that the Jolly Boat is a neat little build.

Good luck, and make sure you put in a build log when you start!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Thank you Sarah,

I take your point re Model Slipway shipping costs and I will try to find a cheaper method.

Thank you, both of you, for your advice. I will be  away from home for most of the next 30 days but will mull it over and decide when i return. 

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Cheers Jan, I will look into that.

Mike.

Ps.  I have contacted them by email to see if they can deliver. They have the item that interests me.

Thanks again,

Mike

Edited by mikeaidanh

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

hello mike

if you are looking for a launch of good size available in UK, i warmly suggest the 1800 armed pinnace from Mantua/panart:

its scale is 1:16 and can be easily find in UK.

check at the website

www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/mantua_armed_pinnace.html

Done:          Venetian Polacre http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/7290-venetian-polacre-by-cristiano-sec-xviii-from-original-drawings/

Halifax  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/844-halifax/

Ranger  https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2175-ranger-revenue-cutter-by-corel/   

HM Bark Endeavour (Corel kit heavily kitbashed) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/125-hmbark-endeavour-corel-kit-bashed/                                              

Venetian Galleon (from scratch) - Pirate Junk - Sicilian Speronara (from scratch)

On the shelf (still packed):     Artesania Le Hussard....

Hello Cristiano,

Thank you for that. I will put it on the list of possibles.

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Hi Mike, and welcome from Shropshire (UK).

Most of my recent building has been fairly small scale 17th and 18th century sailing ships, from kits.  Having just finished the HMS Bounty (at 1:50 scale) I also felt like doing a larger scale, smaller boat, and went for the Panart Lancia Armata 1803, which is 1:16 scale, and will be about 620mm long.

The kit contents look good, and wood quality seems OK, but the instructions are interesting - there are some fairly general instructions in English (but I suspect translated from Italian) plus several full size plans which are well detailed but all the descriptions and labels are in Italian. My skills in Italian stop at being able to order a beer or glass of wine, so we will see. Panart also do a couple of similar sized kits (HMS Victory launch for instance), so there are several choices.

I got mine from Cornwall Model Boats, but I'm sure other UK suppliers do them.

I would be interested if anyone on the MSW site has built this model, and if so what they thought.

I will start a build log once I begin, but am currently building 'something completely different', a 1:16 model of the Wright Brothers 1903 plane, The Flyer (from Expo Model Airways). This is taking quite some time, and looking at the plans I am glad I have some rigging experience from old sailing ship models, I am certain I will need it.

Will be interested to see what model you finally choose.

Regards,

Bob. 

Edited by Bob the boatbuilder

Corel from Italy make a few kits of small sail fishing boats that are around 1:25 scale. these are readily available inthe UK. Cornwall Boats is so good that many of us here in the colonies order from them.

i just got one of these Corel kits and it really looks fine. it would be advisable to study a few books on the subject prior to trying a build. the diagrams are excellent, but the written instructions are typical of what you will see from most of the European kits (they tell you what to do but may not explain how to do it)

building my first planked model has been quite a harsh learning experience, but also very rewarding.

Edited by jbford

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

Sorry not to reply sooner, I have been away from home.

Thank you for your suggestion of the Panart armed pinnace. I had not looked at this but I agree that it is very interesting and I think this may have gone top of my possibles list. As to the instructions can they be worse than those for the Artisana Latina HMS Surprise kit? 

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

jbford,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay in responding. At present I am mostly interested in naval vessels but I agree that your suggestion looks like a good build.

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Hello Mike, I agree with previous comments concerning Panarts armed launch. It is an excellent kit with quality materials and fittings. There were a couple of build logs on the old MSW that sadly have not resurfaced. However there is a practicum on Hubert Sicards " Wooden Ship Modelling for Dummies" A lifetime membership costs $45 and it is possible to take a somewhat limited peek before laying out ones money.  I have also purchased items from ' Cornwall model boats" and find them efficient and competitive pricewise.

Enjoy the journey.

Kip

Thanks Kip,

I think my mind is made up now and i will opt for the Panart model as discussed. I am away from home for a couple of weeks from tomorrow and will know for sure when I return.

My thanks to you, and all others who responded, for your helpful suggestions.

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

: