Laser cutters

My dad is planning on buying a laser cutter-engraver and when I hear laser cutter I model ships come to mind. The smallest machine that the company which my dads looking at can cut over 1/4 inch thick wood but my dad is looking at a midrange model which can cut even thicker. I was wondering how often do you guys think that I will be commandeering it? and what for? would it be hard to design parts on the computer in order to cut them? anyone here have experience with laser cutters?

if so can you give pointers. I hope that my dad is able to get this machine.

Lextin AKA qwerty2008

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein.

I don't know about the machines themselves Lextin but I've had some bits and pieces laser cut by an acquaintance in Marmaris (I live in Turkey). I draw the piece on AutoCad, save it as a DXF file so that his software will recognise it and a few minutes later I have a piece of wood exactly the size I want. It's cool. But, if your drawing is wrong . . .

The first time I tried the process out was for a set of hands for a cuckoo clock. After drawing the two hands (I used the old broken hands as a guide)  I snipped off a bit of 1mm mahogany ply (surplus material from a laser cut sheet from a boat kit). I laminated both sides of the ply with some thin fibreglass, got them cut and they came out really good. On the drawing I reduced the size of the spindle by around 0.1mm and the hands fitted perfectly.

I'm just finishing off a 1:10 model of a CLC Skerry and I could easily have had all the bits laser cut. I didn't though, I just had the long hull panels done that way There's a picture on post #27 of the Latest Full Profile thread. I should probably update it . . .  I've just drawn up the rudder parts on AutoCad and printed them off but I'll be cutting them out on the scroll saw. I'll have them done in the time it would take me to get into town and back. 

I like the technique. But again the drawing needs to be right. 

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Me and my dad went to look at the machines today and just need to figure out which one to get and what options to get then place an order (hopefully Monday) after that it will be another two weeks until the machine arrives. The guy showing us the machines made up some samples for us.

the clear acrylic didn't scan properly :(

post-1993-0-49598000-1368243187_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know if turbo cad will work with a laser cutter?

The laser cutter will work from the software that comes with it. That software should recognise a .dxf file at least. If TurboCad can save drawings as a .dxf file that'll be the way to go. 

The guy who cut my bits was using Corel Draw as his main drawing program, I use AutoCad. Both can save files in .dxf format and that file is imported into the machine software. Hope this helps.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

I am not sure but Turbo CAD probably can save .dxf files. I already have Corel Draw 15 and the cutter comes with software that sends the files from Corel Draw to the machine similar to what my dads vinyl sticker machine uses.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, dang!  There will be more - GOOD LUCK!  Would be pretty cool to be able to take plans and then have the pieces laser cut for you - where you are!  Just imagine the possibilities....

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus