The right kit for progress?

Hi guys

I am 2/3 of the way through my first ever kit the Marie Jeanne from AL and i must say that despite the kit being a little difficult to understand i have enjoyed every frustrating minute of it. i have improved my model skills and my collection of tools is very impressive (and costly as my wife reminds me!),

I have found the AL kit difficult at times as the instructions are at best basic and there are only plans when it come to mast assembly? This may be normal its my first kit but the general standard of the kit does seem a little basic. That said i am already planning my next kit so here's my question, after this kit i would love to take on the HM Endeavor from Caldercraft is this a step too far too soon? I feel i could complete the kit in time but as its expensive i do not want to overstretch myself skills wise.

As always your thoughts would be helpful

chris 

Chris,

If you are looking for some more helpful instructions, you will not find them in that particular kit.  Caldercraft instructions have grown more comprehensive over the years, but the Endeavour is one of their early releases.  You could try one of their newer releases, such as Badger or Pickle.  Model Shipway's Syren, designed by our own Chuck Passaro, also has very detailed instructions.  On the other hand, interest in your subject goes a long way in overcoming difficulty, so if you have your heart set on Endeavour, the Caldercraft edition is probably the best offered, and there are resources available here to get you through the build, such as the planking tutorial in the Ship Modeler's Database.

Regards,

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hi Chris,

I am currently building the Caldercraft Endeavour. This is my 1st wooden model ship and I think I am doing not to badly with it for a first build (others may disagree but are too polite to say LOL). There was a thread in the General section I think about the difficulty ratings of kits and someone came up with the very good point in that the difficulty usually relates to the size, time and effort required, after all most kits need planked, advanced rated ships just need more of it.

ccoyle comes up with a couple of good points. I really love the Endeavours history etc and it was always the ship I wanted to build first, so I will see it through to the end eventually (however long it takes). Also Chris’s comments on the instructions being limited is very true but to be honest I have barely read them, all 4 pages!

I read the instructions a few times to get started and occasionally checked them to see the order they recommend building or to see if they mention something I couldn’t find in the plans but they don’t tell you how anyway. I find the plans and questions answered by the friendly people on this site are more than enough to keep going.

One thing I will mention though is the Endeavour has a very bluff bow and I did find that frustrating but other than that its probably only more of the same you have already done. If you do go for it remember to start a build log as there are a lot of Endeavour builders here to help out.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Thanks guys for your comments, I love the idea of building the Endeavour and i have to tip my hat to you Slog if you are doing this vessel as your first wooden kit! I think i would like a more detailed instruction manual than you say comes with this kit and confirmed by ccoyle.

I will take a look at pickle as its a newer kit and should have more detailed instructions

thanks any other kits that you know with good manuals?

Hi Chris,

Sorry don't have any experiance of other kit instructions other than what I have read in peoples build logs.

As Chris (ccoyle) says any Model Shipyards kits design by Chuck will have decent instructions.  You can go to the Model Expo site and download the instructions for all Model Shipyards kits in PDF form so might be worth having a browse of them to see if they fit your needs.

Good luck with whatever you settle on and remember to start a build log.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)