I was making yet more parts today and thought I should share what I think is the best wood I have ever used for turning/carving.

Photinia Robusta is a plant used mainly for hedges.

Some plagiarism  from Wikipedia

They are a part of the rose family (Rosaceae) and related to the apple. The botanical genus name derives from the Greek word photeinos for shiny and refers to the often glossy leaves. Most species are evergreen, but deciduous species also occur. The small apple-shaped fruit has a size of 4 to 12 mm and forms in large quantities. They ripen in the fall and often remain hanging on the bush until well into the winter. The fruits are used as food by birds, which excrete the seeds with their droppings and thereby distribute the plant.

The natural range of these species is restricted to warm temperate Asia, from the Himalaya east to Japan and south to India and Thailand. They have, however, been widely cultivated throughout the world as ornamentals for their white flowers and red fruits.

P_Robusta.jpg.5505a571300d0d2c1ce34d2a5227dd4f.jpg

It is better than Box, Pear or Apple.

It machines and cuts like hard plastic and does not come apart.

The flange next to the measured one is 0.2mm thick, The small shaft is 0.5mm did.

With more care even smaller is easily obtained.

P8112895.thumb.JPG.2bf63c4a257d6c8c2001575cc3e13353.JPGP8112897.JPG.18f44ec3b160b5f9067ccf53d7059c0d.JPG

Now I won't be held responsible for all the disappearing hedges around the world.

Regards

Allan

Edited by alpayed
spelling

Models finished:  Too many to list.

Current build. Danmark (kit bash)