Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About thibaultron

  • Rank
  • Birthday 04/11/1955

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Warrenville, SC
  • Interests
    Ship, plane, and train modeling, history, science.

Recent Profile Visitors

2,628 profile views
  1. Sounds like most laws I've heard of! Several years ago the Congress passed a law saying that X amount of bio-fuel must be produced/year by a certain date. The problem was that that amount of bio-fuel (generally made from corn) would have required 3 times the total annual yearly US corn production!
  2. So sad! My sympathy to those who's work was destroyed!
  3. I never installed them. I removed the slides from the leg pieces, before I installed them. The drawers and the center slide section are stored for possible use in the future.
  4. Sorry to hear about your gall bladder Dave! Hope you have a swift recovery!
  5. PART 11 I worked on the Hoist Ring today. This is the diagram I showed earlier, and the following one with dimensions. The critical dimensions are: Ring Diameter = 5/32” – 5/32 drill bit as form, initially (see below) Eye Diameter = 0.015” - #77 drill bit Hook Diameter = 0.023” - #73 drill bit This was just a practice/trial and error session. This is just as well, as the “new” used camera I was using was set on 640X480 resolution, as I discovered when editing the pictures! I bought 0.008” copper, dead soft brass, and half hard brass wire, to experiment with. The half hard is what I used, the copper was way too soft to hold a shape under handling. I skipped the Dead Soft, and found the Half Hard quite workable, and sufficiently sturdy. There will be no load on the ring as the spar will be glued to the mast. In this scale, 1/64th, I will not try to replicate the forged construction of the original. At first I tried wrapping the wire around the 5/32nd bit then folding the ends across each other, then vertical to form the hook and eye legs, forming a sharp corner, but no firm connection. This worked, but the ring did not hold its shape during further work. The two corners separated when the ring twisted. For the “final” version, I used a pair of needle nose pliers, with a stepped taper on one jaw and a flat mating surface on the other. For the area where the legs will be, I tied a simple knot by looping one leg back through the ring. After a bit of pulling and tightening of the knot, I got a firm joint at the legs. Next I used a pair of flat jawed needle nose pliers to clamp the ring in and stretched the legs to be at right angles to the ring. I then held a #77 drill bit on one jaw, on top of a leg and wrapped the wire around it, forming the eye. Then while also holding the #77 in place, I repeated this on the hook leg, using a #73 drill bit. This time I only wrapped it enough to form the bottom of the hook The assembly now looked like this. After playing with it a bit using pliers and tweezers to get everything in line, I cut the excess wire with a single bladed razor. Here is the final trial piece. You can see some kinks in the main ring. I was reusing the same piece of wire as I practiced, and it was distorted from prior attempts. For the final pieces I'll have to refine the eye, but I'm calling this trial Hoist Ring a success. When I make the finished parts, I’ll take a better sequence of pictures. I finally got the camera reset to take full resolution (14megapixel) shots, so the pictures will be better next time. It may be a few weeks before I can get back to the model. I’m about to start a month long 12 hours a day 6 days a week short term job.
  6. Played a little with the wire for the hoist fittings. The .008" (0.2mm) is too soft. I was able to make a rough fitting, but it collapsed before I could finish. I'll try the brass wires today, with pictures this time. I may have to build a simple jig.
  7. Sorry to hear of his passing! Hope the new inspector does a good job.
  8. I would say a coat of epoxy or the old fashioned RC aircraft dope. I used the aircraft dope on the outside and inside of my RC Combat Warship models.
  9. Mark, not something I wanted to push the "Like" button on. I hope your new situation brings some light to your life!

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...