Constructo Enterprise vs. Golden Kits Enterprise

capnharv2

My first wooden kit (30 years ago) was a Golden Kits Schooner Enterprise. The scale was shown as 1:60 on the box and plans.

Constructo now offers a Schooner Enterprise. The scale is shown as 1:51.

I've looked at build logs here for the Constructo Enterprise, and it looks like the same Golden Kits Enterprise I built, but the scales are different.

So my question is-are they the same size kit with the scale changed on box and plans, or are they 2 different kits? And, if they are the same, what scale is it?

Thanks,

Harvey

• 2 weeks later...

I am just a newb but it would seem to me that if you just compared the dimensions you would have your answer. Example- a 1/80 scale America model is 17" and a 1/40 scale is 35" . Obviously the scales I used are wrong but I'm sure you get the idea. Hope this helps and I'm not missing something as I am a complete newb

Edited by Enderwiggin

Harry,

I cant say much about the Golden Kits model, but I have noticed that some of my parts have matched the plans, but when I went to install them they were smaller than what I needed. Both my Stern post and the Stem turned out to be too small/short. The stern post was a relatively minor fix, the stem, somewhat more complicated in my mind. I assumed both were due to my inexperience, and it may well be that but now I am wondering.  

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

• 1 month later...

Brian,

They sound more and more like the same kit. I also believe Golden Kits was bought by Constructo. If they are indeed the same kit, I wonder why they changed the advertised scale?

From my perspective, it's becoming a moot point. The kit looks kind of like the Enterprise in Howard Chapelle's book, and I had a great time building my first Enterprise 30 years ago. When I get to this second one (hopefully not if) I'll be bashing it anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Harvey

• 1 year later...