Ark Royal leaves for scrap yard - & views of other warships - moved by moderator

Kevin

the following photo are even sadder - under a request of freedom of speech a request was made to prove the breaking up od several british warships

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/pictures_obtained_to_verify_scra

On a slightly different note - Did you know that the USS Enterprise has recently arrived in Newport after her last deployment. She now begins a 2 1/2 yr project to remove her core and reactors. during this project she will be towed around the horn to the Naval shipyard here in Seattle and the broken for scrap. She is the oldest warship in the US Navy currently on deployment. She is also the first atomic powered surface vessel.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

On a slightly different note - Did you know that the USS Enterprise has recently arrived in Newport after her last deployment. She now begins a 2 1/2 yr project to remove her core and reactors. during this project she will be towed around the horn to the Naval shipyard here in Seattle and the broken for scrap. She is the oldest warship in the US Navy currently on deployment. She is also the first atomic powered surface vessel.

Is she defintiely going to get broken up or added to battleship row over in Bremerton?  I think there are more ships laid up there than there are ships in most modern navies  :)

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I am afraid she is going to be broken up. As you probably know she has 13 reactors inside her. They must be removed. in order to do this they will have to cut thru the deck and the hanger deck. Once this is done she will be quite a mess. It would be too expensive to restore her in any meaningful way. So she will be cut up.

I am not sure when the last time you drove by the Bremerton Yard. But many of the ships you mention have been cut up. I haven't been there in a year or so. but all the Carriers are now gone. Most of the subs are also gone. It used to be amazing to drive by there. If you knew what to look for there was an amazing array of important ships there. Many of them had quite a history.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Floyd,

If an aging memory serves me correctly, the first nuclear surface ship was an experimental cargo vessel; I think it was the USNS Savannah, but she was too expensive to operate. After afew years, she was taken out of service and layed up in Charleston, SC for years; I think she too was finally scapped. Too bad she was a pretty boat.

Jim

Jim

Real boat: Island Packet 32 cutter

Ship/Boat models:

Billings Boats "Bluenose II" changed to look more like original

R/C Victoria Sailboat

Mamoli "Yacht America" - abandoned

Bluejacket "Grand Banks Dory" in process

Model Shipways Fishing Smack "Emma C. Berry" in process

Jim - You are correct. I meant to say warship not surface ship. And Jim I want to publicly apologize to you I am so far behind on my email to you!! :huh: 

With my new job and new house it has been a bit crazy. I just got my internet working today. I promise I will catch up.

I remember going aboard Savannah when she visited Southampton in the early sixties, although not a lot. She was a nice looking ship, even though she didn't have much of a funnel (it probably not being necessary). 

Ps. I've felt strange ever since!  :D

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Kester - So that is how you have survived so long! A little dose of radiation adds to your life expectancy. :)

Floyd,

Well, thanks – but I like to think my life expectancy might have other things going for it than the fact that I might glow in the dark! B) (I don't.)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.