Can anyone recommend this book by David Antscherl?  I am building the Winchelsea by following Chuck’s great instructions.

It is my mind to look into the feasibility of rigging (at least to the main tops) this ship.

Any help will be appreciated.

I see the publishers also offer the plans and I was wondering if these include details of the mast’s, spars etc?

Thank you.

Reg

Good Evening Reg;

If you are referring to the fourth volume in the 'Swan' series of practicums, I have this, and I can highly recommend it to you. It is very well illustrated and explains everything in great detail. However, there is also a supplemental, smaller volume which was issued later, which gives further details of some areas of the rigging, I believe. I don't have this, so I cannot comment on it. But I would advise you to purchase both volumes if you can, as I don't doubt that it is to the same high standard as all David Antscherl's books.

I did not purchase the plans, only the framing templates, so I can't answer your other question about the masts. But there will be many other members here who can.

All the best,

Mark 

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Good Evening Reg;

I've just looked at the back of my volume IV, and Druxey is right. The rigging plans etc are indeed there. I had forgotten about them. 

One thing to keep in mind though: whilst the Swan volume IV is a very helpful and wonderful guide to the rigging of the period, it is all dimensioned for a 14-16 gun sloop. Winchelsea is a frigate with 32 guns, so her rigging will be on a different scale. Nonetheless, the book is an invaluable aid if you want to learn about rigging. 

All the best,

Mark 

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thanks for the info, this is just what I am looking for.

Mark, I am aware of the differences but after much searching cannot find anything of use other than this book.

No doubt some one will come along with fully dimensioned plans (I wish)

I do believe that the smaller volume you mention is now incorporated into volume 4.
Many thanks for your replies.

Reg

Great book for a wonderful serie !

I can confirm that, in the last revisited edition, the small volume on 'Sail making' is included.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24