Old ships - what to do with them?

Hi

New here, and not sure if this is the right place to post - if not, please direct me where I should post. 

my grandfather loved anything nautical. He passed back in 2005. My grandmother has now passed just a few months ago and I was told to take all my grandfathers old ships. I have no idea if these are valuable at all. I can’t find any distinguishing markings in them. They have been in a shelf in a bedroom collecting dust in his old house for maybe 20-30 years. I remember seeing them in the same exact spot since I was young. I’m happy to post pictures of them if anyone might be able to tell me where they are from, their age, etc. 

there are 9 in total. My cousin wants one, and I’m hanging on to two to give to my two boys. So I have 6 that I’d like to possibly sell. I doubt they are actually worth anything, but figure I’d try to do some research. 

thanks

mike

Hi Mike,

The question often arises. But - without any pics or additional info - my guess would be that those models are worth their sentimental value. 

Remembrance to (grand)dad, but without any monetary value to the outside world.

As you say that they have been in a bedroomshelf, my guess is that they are something like 'decorators models', that were quite common between 1935-1975. Mass produced, intended to give the impression of a somewhat older model, depicting a shiptype, rather than an actual ship.

Jan

please post some photos

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat