H.M. bark Endeavor

hoocat

I am looking for advice.  It seems that nearly every manufacturer offers a kit of the Endeavor.  Do you have any recommendations on which to purchase, especially as regards to quality of materials and clarity of instructions. Thank you.

2 hours ago, hoocat said:

I am looking for advice.  It seems that nearly every manufacturer offers a kit of the Endeavor.  Do you have any recommendations on which to purchase, especially as regards to quality of materials and clarity of instructions. Thank you.

Despite the number of the kits, imho the answer is simple: From the existing model the most accurate and the best offer with respect to the quality would be Jotika / Caldercraft. If the space and time is no problem for you, I would wait for this.... hard to say yet if it will be the best option, but looks very interesting...

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler

• 4 weeks later...

Dont go for the mantua Endeavour, it's wildly inaccurate, and the instructions are nearly non existent,  and what few there are the measurements are often wrong, I have done a few Mantua kits and liked them but this one is the worst in my opinion. I agree with Juhu, from what I've seen Caldercraft seems the best, I wish I had paid a bit more and got it instead of the mantua.

Looks like a good model from here. There have been some well researched Endeavour's done on this Site, suggest they be reviewed and perhaps some modifications made topside. One I like was the crossover at the Tiller, not being merely a convenience for old stiff seamen but with all the mapping done by Cook was, infact, a platform to place a Plane Table and Alidade used for mapping, that would require more fore-aft distance than the model currently is equipped with. I have used a Plane Table and Alidade to run miles of "P" Line, ( preliminary Line), for road designed using aerial photos and the design printed on mylar for field use running the Centerline on the ground, also have used it to create Topographic Maps where precision was not critical so understand how Captain Cook might have used that space to his advantage. That experience and having made my living as a professional Land Surveyor makes that research more valid than other explanations for that crossover, these were active men and did not need  the thing for crossing from side to side. Sore back and burning eyes from glare when using. image.jpeg.5ef04d23ac1fc83b5db83ebb37c0d4cd.jpegNOAA Photo Library > Collections > Coast & Geodetic Survey ...

• 3 months later...