HMS Victory Main Sheet question

rkwz

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble working out how to belay the main sheet rope for my HMS Victory build:

Longridge says after it reeves through the sheet block in the "spider" (hull bracket) on the side of the hull, it leads through a lead lined hole in the quarter deck bulwark and belays to the staghorn inside the bulwarks.

On the actual ship, from my understanding, the blue line I have marked below would show the direction of the line in order to belay on the staghorn based on what I have read (the hole I believe is located behind the ladder leading up to the poop deck based on Noel Hackney's book).

11portsmouth-hms-victory-small-main-deck-cannons.jpg.aeb07c770664f2819216aecfcfb579a5.jpg

I'm not sure if the photo below was taken after most of the masts were removed for the recent renovations performed on the Victory as the sheet line doesn't appear to be tied to the staghorn.

I suppose my question is how this line would have led to the staghorn without fouling on the cannons, kevels etc. ? Or is the hole located closer to the staghorns?

imageproxy.php?img=&key=4f3b55ae31fcd018

Also my second question...

Noel Hackney's guide for a standing/harbour rig suggests the tricing lines are pulled higher and the inner tricing lines run along the shrouds.

I noticed most builds with the tricing lines rigged differently have the main sheets reeved in-board of those lines.

However since the tricing lines on my model are pulled close to the shrouds, there is little room to fit the main sheets which would then be rubbing directly against the shrouds.

Would it be feasible to let my main sheets run outboard of the tricing lines instead? Or am I overthinking this?

IMG_20200905_232847__01.thumb.jpg.1974a26bf759fe8325eb08805dc7be54.jpg

Regarding your second question.  I would think that the main sheet will be outboard of all other lines because it is attached to the lower corner of the main sail when set.  Even if the sail is clewed up the sheet would be raised up outboard of all other lines on the yard.

Regarding your question about the lead of the sheets to the kevel.  I have always surmised that this is another good reason for furling the courses before going into battle.  It would mean that the main sheet would not have to be worked and so would not have to be fouled on the cannon when they are worked.  When making way in transit the sheets can be worked without concern of fouling the cannon

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

On 9/6/2020 at 10:51 AM, popeye2sea said:

Regarding your second question.  I would think that the main sheet will be outboard of all other lines because it is attached to the lower corner of the main sail when set.  Even if the sail is clewed up the sheet would be raised up outboard of all other lines on the yard.

Regarding your question about the lead of the sheets to the kevel.  I have always surmised that this is another good reason for furling the courses before going into battle.  It would mean that the main sheet would not have to be worked and so would not have to be fouled on the cannon when they are worked.  When making way in transit the sheets can be worked without concern of fouling the cannon

Regards,

Thank you, Henry that's very helpful.

I did some more digging around online for more Victory quarterdeck photos and came across this:

656947232_Short_12_pounder_in_the_HMS_Victorys_Quarterdeck_2.thumb.JPG.26845aef1c39054662a052a02914dd94.JPG

I can't tell if the rope belayed around the staghorns makes up part of the tie off for the main topsail yard halyard which belays to the kevel on the left? Or is that the main sheet tied off according to Longridge?