Jump to content

dafi

Members
  • Content Count

    2,078
  • Joined

  • Last visited

8 Followers

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Ludwigsburg Germany

Recent Profile Visitors

4,471 profile views
  1. After this short side walk, I continued on the middle deck.... Now with all parts, so also etching supports for the fall protection. Then with paper strips determining center and left and right edges ... ... aging parts and glueing the coaming in place. Note that the staircase will not fit through the top because of the rabbet, so it must be pulled up from below with thread ... ... flaps inserted ... ... and the thread pulled with surgical precis
  2. Once again the typical Dafinist shift of the scene of crime. Since I know that I soon will need another stern for the Vic, I dared to tackle an issue that I could only solve by clever colouring when I created the last one. But one after the other. Here are the parts of the kit as they fell out of their box. First the courageous cut to separate the lower part, which makes the assembly immensely easier later. Then I filed out the name cartouche and levelled it with a matching sanding block. The wood structure also went to wood-structu
  3. Ok, looks a bit better now 🙂 The sailers will be able to pass in between the flaps and do not have to jump them 😉 Now the support fold in the coaming, so that the flaps do not swing down, the plug holes for the iron corner posts of the guardrail, the stairs correctly aligned and good it will be. 🙂 XXXDAn
  4. Why I always make so many test installations and pictures of it? Because sometimes I'm just stupid ... Test fit of the companionway: coaming and stairs - check - fits! Other side ... - check - fits! Other side ... - check - fits! Door flaps inserted, since the companionway is below the radius of the capstan bars ... - check - fiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeehhhhhhh... Crap, find the mistake ... GRRRRRRR!!!!! XXXDAn
  5. Thanks for the Likes gentlemen. In the meantime, it has turned out that I have a nice challenge as I had only sketched out all the inner structures at the beginning of furbishing the lower gun deck and was that I was only going by sight ... But as soon as one has to handle reference or chain dimensions, it becomes tricky ... The mast partners and carlings of the main cargo hatch had to be moved several times until they finally fitted. And the deck beam cemented in so tightly that it was too difficult to replace it for a fresh one without
  6. Just bringing it up again. Did anybody have any new encounters with this topic in the meantime? Cheers, Daniel
  7. I'm having a bit of a headache with my bits on the Victory. According to McKay and the Heller kit, the pins are set very tightly there. The forward foremast bit is still manageable, according to AOTS the cross bar has 5 ropes, so some space is left in between for the coils. For the aft foremast bit of the same length, there are 17 pins for 16 ropes. It then looks like this: This is McKay´s belaying sceme from one side to the other (with reference number of the AOTS): 108 Fore Yard Slab line 211 Main Top Ga
  8. Sometimes I am stupid ... I had already described the initial situation a long time ago. The bits of the kit were "a bit" strange in their shape. Thereupon I had fiddled new ones ... ... and because I need some of them for different tasks, I casted them. A complicated mold with two-component silicone putty inlets - top tec [/img] The other day, I noticed that the bits are still pretty low, even though I had my scale mate with me when I took the photos ... ... grrrrr... Here again the summary: Kit
  9. I would be very cautious with McKay as these are no contemporary evidence. Also he draws the deck patterns with all planks in approx 6 meters long without respecting the beams underneath. There are some nice contemporary plans like the ones mentioned above or also published by Steel. But I always am tempted to see those as idealized schematic proposals. In the yard they imho had to be sparing with the material, especially in war times. So I believe they never would have cut a plank short just to fit the pattern, especially as the strongest version of buildi
  10. One of the few boats that survived is the one of the Vasa. If I remember well it predates the ship of 1628 by far. One sees a light convexity towards the end, also the inside has a clear direction, also the position otf the mast. Near the stern there are two small posts for the rudder. [img]https://www.mediaharmonists.de/bilder/Stockholm/Stockholm-180323_8913.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.mediaharmonists.de/bilder/Stockholm/Stockholm-180325_9570.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.mediaharmonists.de/bilder/Stockholm/Stockholm-180325_9614.jpg[/img]
  11. Just to continue the topic. Achilles from our german forum did build a magnificent Queen Charlotte 1790 in 1:48. Included was of course the double decked pump that could be seen in the drafts shown in the NMM. First the lower deck with the casing on the forward pump going to the middle deck. The aft pump is a classical "one deck" pump. ZAZ0159 And here is the upper part of the forward pump protruding in the middle deck. ZAZ0160 Also nicely to be seen the different openings on the cistern casings to interl
  12. My understanding too is that the single one is the elm tree pump. Often they were fashioned in this octagonal shape, with the hole in the middle. They served as fresh water pumps for multiple purposes. If I can distinguish properly, one of the plans show the Unite with the 4 french pumps that were single wooden tubes with a metal joint in the middle. ZAZ3181 https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/82972.html The decks plan fits to this ZAZ3183 https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/82974.html The deck plan is in this sense
×
×
  • Create New...