Zero clearance insert for Byrnes Cross-cut sled

As I was beginning to use my new saw, I was getting some tear-out when using the cross-cut sled with a 3" 70T blade. So I decided to make a zero clearance insert.

Using some 1/8" hardboard and plywood, I came up with this:

image.png.d4c2ac05370f6d5430739aa87e730873.png

I made a quick jig for my scroll saw to allow me to cut the slot for the angle fence. The fixture just lifts in and out, the base is a snug fit front to back and the plywood at the rear stops any sideways movement.

The stop was then 1/8" too a tall so I made a small fitting from 1/16" plywood and boxwood to raise it up. 

image.png.e9ee546ab8c834e527a8988058036e85.png

The original thumbscrew was too short so I replaced it with a new brass one. Although I didn't need to, I replaced the others to match.

I also needed a longer pivot screw for the angle fence but the main adjusting screw was fine.

This of course means I've lost 1/8" from the maximum thickness of cut. Most of the time this will not be an issue but I have additional 4" blade if I need it. 

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights