Can I use a wider plank for the Wale?

I've read the planking tutorials on the site and they are great. So...in marking off for my planking, I'm wondering if I can use a slightly wider plank for the Wale. My kit has 5mm wide planks for the hull. I'm using an 10mm wide plank for the Garboard and if I use the 5mm planks for the rest of the hull I end up with needing to shave one of the planks down to 3mm. Using the 8mm plank for the Wale makes it work out without shaving any planks. Just need to verify that its okay to do this or will it lead to more difficulties.

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

Hard to give a definitive answer; it all depends on the shape of the hull that you are planking. Cut a strip of card first to that width and see if it 'wraps' well along the hull. If not, narrower planks will be easier to work.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I don't think that's a good idea. The width of the planks can vary, that of the wale probably not.

Have a look at the pdf page 32

2014Gresham.pdf

Or check out  my Pelican / Golden Hind build somewhere from post 40

Edited by Backer

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The thickness of my planks are 1.8mm per the assembly sheet but I figure them as 2mm. I'm going to stick with the 8mm wide Wale and use the 5mm planks for the rest of the hull. I understand that in practice the Wale was actually thicker than the rest of the hull planks bur my kit instructions don't mention any thicker planks.

In my signature block I list the ships I have built. But for this build and going forward, I'm going to try and do the planking the correct way. Thank you everyone for your comments and advice.

Edited by acaron41120

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift