Hi there,

I am considering applying a Humbrol enamel paint over a coat of Vallejo Polyurethane Varnish Matt. The varnish would be applied to my wood planking as a sealer before adding the paint. Both product would be brushed on. Does anyone have any experience with this combination? Is it OK to apply enamel paint over the acrylic product?

Many thanks,

Peter

Enamel over acrylic is generally fine allowing time for the acrylic to "cure". fat over lean!

A few comments from my experience though:

The Valejo polyurethane varnish is good but I am not too impressed with its adhesion to substrate-never used it on bare wood though. Probably it would be fine but I do not think it is designed for this purpose. There are dedicated wood sealers which would be a better choice for sealing wood. The Valejo polyurethane is water based so it will raise the grain and sanding will be needed, I do not think you will be able to brush the paint straight away.

I would use a sanding sealer, sand smooth to 400 grit and then paint with enamel and low odour mineral spirit. If you don't mind the trouble, Humbrol enamels are great. Or you could just use very dilute enamel as first coat to seal the wood but sanding sealer is better

Vaddoc

Hi Vaddoc! Thanks very much for your advice.

I will investigate the sanding sealer option. Do you have brand you would recommend?

When you say 'paint with enamel and low odour mineral spirit' I guess you are suggesting I thin my Humbrol enamel before applying? What is the reason for this and what ratio should I thin to?

On a side note, do you apply a coat of polyurethane or varnish over top of the painted and unpainted wood on your models as a final, protective layer?

Many thanks,

Peter

Ottawa, Canada

Peter, have a look at the link bellow but also a nose around MSW - lots of good info. 

You will need to thin the paint, best thing to practice on scrap pieces of wood, NOT on the model. Cheap plywood works great. When you feel comfortable with your chosen finish, then apply it to the model.

Paint should not be thick and enamels behave much different to acrylics. Have a read, principals are pretty much the same for enamels as well.

Edited by vaddoc