Polaris by Gr8teful Rick - OcCre - 1:50

FINALLY, ready to start my first build! As some of you know, my Polaris kit (and the Beagle kit, too!) were supplied with warped keels that I tried to straighten w/o success by using some MSW suggestions. I ended up ordering replacement keels from Occre; they were delivered yesterday, and, though much better than the originals, are not perfectly straight. The suggestion to cut my own keel was beyond my skill (and tool) set. I realize this is an inexpensive beginner's kit, so the quality is what you pay for, I guess.

Meanwhile, with some friends' help, I made Doc Blake's keel clamp just to be building something ship-related, though I now realize it won't be much help after all the ribs are fixed.

IMG_4787.thumb.jpg.74d0db3f9f0eaeb775c2f7204e65f233.jpg

This is what the new false keel looks like; the wrong-way bend between ribs A7 and A8 doesn't seem like it will affect the structure as long as I take care to glue the ribs properly.

IMG_4788.thumb.jpg.3d1715ead5ca192d030b539bc816741d.jpg

I'm using Havelock's technique for clamping the ribs to the keel using small metal corner braces to keep the ribs square.

IMG_4786.thumb.jpg.e933d9358630e0f80aff4eff4e2d9f8d.jpg

Edited by Gr8teful Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a good start. I'm not familiar with this kit, but the final product looks like a good level for a starter kit before tackling something more complex. Hope you'll keep us updated as you proceed!