OK I was looking at the bomb conversion drawing and could just make out a beam or two. I cranked up the contrast and printed out a better version. I can see quite a few beams. Do these drawings trump "Scantlings"? I would think yes but what do I know?

Found another drawing that has more and it looks like they compliment each other.  I guess there is more on these old faded thing than you think🙂

Edited by Don Case

My personal order of preference for scantlings starts with contemporary AS BUILT drawings and original contracts.  Other drawings that were not as-built would still be a preferred guide in many cases.  The Establishments from 1719 through 1750 would be next in line if the timing is appropriate.  The Shipbuilder's Repository and Steel's scantlings in The Elements and Practice of Naval Architecture are great if a contemporary drawing or contract does not provide all of the information.   I have never seen any detailed and complete Establishment scantlings after 1750, but perhaps others may have.   I have no idea if the SBR and the EPNA were used by a few, many, or any shipwrights as the Establishments had supposedly been guides that were used previously.  For that matter, I have never read why the SBR and/or David Steel even prepared these treatises.    I just looked on line for information and only found a few copies for sale but no information on the purpose of the book and draughts.   I almost fainted when I saw the prices for the Sim Comport edition of Steel starting at over $800.   The Foreward in the Sim Comfort 1977 reprint edition of  David Steel states that Steel wrote principally, of course, for the mariner and the shipwright who sought to broaden his knowledge of his profession and the one thing common to both: the ship.

The publisher also notes that no other work, has in any language at any time, the theories and practicalities of designing and actually building a Man of War at the time of Nelson.

Of further interest is that The Elements and Practice of Naval Architecture involved a good bit of plagiarism of the SBR.  

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU