Dead eye sizes for lower shrouds on HM Bark Endeavor Scale 1:64 by Caldercraft

Hello all .Only 2 sizes supplied in the Kit  5 mm and 3 mm. I am assuming the 5 mm is for the lower shrouds. Is this too small ? My last model the Bounty by Amati, the lower dead eyes are 7 mm. and upper dead eyes are 5 mm. Are these too big as the scale for the Bounty is 1:60 which I believe is not much difference in that of the Endeavour but I could be wrong.

In the Endeavour parts list the dead eyes are listed as 5 and 3 mm so no mistake with what has been put in the box. I am unable to find anything in the literature I own or anything when googled.Perhaps someone who has built the Endeavour can confirm that 5 mm is indeed the correct size for the lower dead eyes. If not perhaps someone knows what size the actual dead eye would be for that period ship and hence I would be able to work it out. Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Good Evening Dave;

Another guide to size is calculated from the circumference of the shroud. The diameter of the dead-eye is one and a half times the circumference of the stay or shroud. The thickness is slightly more than half the diameter.

Interestingly, early rigging inventories call these 'deadman-eyes'. Which makes the origin of the name clear, albeit rather macabre.

All the best,

Mark P

Edited by Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thank you guys for your replies which will give me something to work on. AS all three lower masts are different sizes this would therefore mean all the lower masts would be different  but perhaps they don,t make that many different sizes of dead eyes. This could also be true using the stays or shrouds as the standard. I will work on both these above standards and see what I come up with. Best regards Dave

Heloo folks. AS it turns out Caldercraft are the more accurate of the two. 5mm and 3 mm. Thank you for your replies .Best regards Dave